Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Cairo, the 25th August, 2009

"My cup of tea"


It seems I'm preparing to go to war (or to hiding in a bunker during the nazi occupation).
I've been preparing for my Ramadan shows and filling the house with provisions to endure the 21 days in a row schedule I will, Inshah Allah, present at the magnificent "Nile Maxim".
As soon as I start performing, all my energy and time goes straight to the stage. No going around or dispersing myself into another duties. Of course, I cannot escape teaching my private lessons, doing the occasional shopping or preparing my next workshops. I have 1000 hands and too much on my back...cannot afford the luxury to "just" perform but I do my best to spare myself and be 100000000% on the stage.

Ramadan shopping in the morning...
peaceful and surprisingly pleasant...
Taxi drivers are cranky (no food, no drink and the hardest one...no cigars...) and more aggressive than usual. Following logic - and not common sense which is pure "nonsense" around here - they are nervous because they're deprived of food but, as I often say shocking any muslim who hears me, there's no real fasting in Egypt. There's a change in the eating schedule but no fasting. People eat during the night (from the "iftar" around 18.30h till the sunrise) and abstain from food during the day. They still eat. Actually, they eat more than in usual days (and this is well known and acknowledged by all egyptians and arabs) but they do it in a different timing. That's all. So...what's the excuse for laziness and aggressivity?!


(Don't even ask!)

Well...for someone who's not a great shopper (am I really a woman?! According to an arsehole I used to date, I am not a "normal" woman...and I may start agreeing with him...), I may admit having had a great time shopping today. Not much traffic or noise, no music at all (which is relaxing for someone who deals constantly with it), no cigars inside taxis or shops (way to go!!!) and a general sleepiness that permeates the atmosphere with a candour I don't remember to have ever experienced in Cairo.
I bought sweets for my egyptian assistant (a deluxe HUGE box of Ramadan sweets that drove her crazy!), some training clothes for me, cosmetic stuff for the next shows season, fresh fruits (not so fresh as I wished but the best I can manage to get in Maadi), gifts to take to Portugal when I travel and a few more books (to add to the piles I have gathered in my salon).
I know it doesn't seem a lot but, as far as I'm concerned, it was a pleasant morning and an authentic commercial splurge as I am not a shopping lover.
I had to pass by CSA on my way home (CSA Institute, where I'll be teaching regularly from the 5th October) and caught up with a student who happened to be there. A mean cappuccino, some delicious almond cake, wondeful conversation under an equally wonderful sun who reminded me, like a sudden thunderbolt, that I am grateful for all the changes that I've been blessed to receive in my life lately.


It's still too easy to concentrate on what's missing but, between one sip of cappuccino and a ray of sun caressing my face, I realized that I'm entering the phase - finally! - that I call :
"MY CUP OF TEA"
I projected - in my mind, in my heart, in my proferred words and intentions- all that's been happening to me and, when I look around me, I see it's all coming true and I can only gasp and try to catch up my breath once again...I feel overwhelmed and thankful to see that I am working in the places that reflect me (CSA is LOVELY, an open space aimed to open perspectives and sharing between nationalities and cultures and "NILE MAXIM" is, currently, the best Oriental Dance venue in Cairo!),


I am surrounded by the "right" people and giving huge steps towards all my biggest goals.
My materialized reality is reflecting all my wishes and all I've worked and suffered so much for so...I can only say THANKS to God, to the UNIVERSE, to all the angels and forces working along with me (and even to the ones working against me because they've made me stronger and wiser).


I am healthy and loved, ready to face the world, whatever it may bring...

I am working in the best place I could dream of and I'm doing it through my talent and recognized quality, not through the "bed" path so common in my profession.


I would love to see the faces of those who told me I would never grow as a dancer in Cairo unless I became a prostitute like most famous dancers... (I am LAUGHING right now with such an undescribable pleasure...:) :) )

I have stimulating, loving, supporting friends around me.

I have co-workers (musicians, managers, bosses) who respect me and appreciate my talent and hard work...they make my life easier and cooperate with me.


I have a beautiful home looking great and cozy (I just got the most beautiful pink new curtains for my dance salon) and I'm doing a great work in my shows, classes and workshops.


I am finally digging into my first book edition (YES!!!) and feeling loved.


REALLY LOVED.
How much do I have to thank?! Not enough...suddenly, I can't really see what's missing because I'm aware of too many blessings.


PLEASE NOTICE WHAT TO FOLLOW DURING THE NEXT MONTHS:
Excited coreographing my new dances (Crazy Tabla Solo and Modern Saiidi) for my upcoming workshops abroad and regular classes in Cairo:

1.Workshops in Portugal (Lisbon, 19,20th September) - more infos through my email: dancemagica@ gmail.com

2.Workshops in Italy (Rome, the 26,27th September) - more infos through my email:
dancemagica@ gmail.com or jacybellydance@gmail.com


3.Regular classes in Cairo from the 5th October ahead
at CSA INSTITUTE, MAADI (21st Street, number 4) - more infos through CSA ( 010 382 96 38 or email:
pauline@livinginegypt.org )


Schedule for regular classes (from the 5th October):
Mondays from 12.30h till 13.30h - Beginners Oriental Dance Class
Wednesdays from 12.30h till 13.30h - Intermediate Oriental Dance Class
Tuesdays evening from 7.00h pm till 8.00h pm - Beginners Oriental Dance Class
Tuesdays evening from 8.00h pm till 9.00h pm - Intermediate Oriental Dance Class

NOTE: New Joana Saahirah article coming out on the CSA magazine this October!


4. Don't loose my Ramadan shows at the "Nile Maxim" until the 15th September and yet a new BOMBASTIC show at the same venue in October!
For reservations, please call "Nile Maxim":
012 73 88888
010 73 88888
011 73 88888
02 - 273 88888

No comments: