Saturday, June 12, 2010



Cairo, the 12th June, 2010

(Off) BEAT IT (by the opposite of Michael Jackson)

When Michael Jackson released the huge hit BEAT IT, he could not imagine that, somewhere in the future, so many people would use the term upside down. They would dance OFF-BEAT, so completely off-beat that it challenges my own ideas about music, dance and how you're supposed to follow the music (Am I REALLY sure about this right now?!!).

Well...
We've seen it all and I've heard it all when it comes to foreigners knowing little about ACTUAL ORIENTAL DANCE and it's known in Egypt that westerners cannot listen to the arabic music, interpret it and feel it as their arabic folks.

For most -99% - of the foreigners I've seen perform Oriental Dance this may be true. Some times, they even have the beat, oh yes they DO. But they have no feeling at all and no idea of what the music is comunicating so the dance remains EMPTY, MEANINGLESS.

So, when the opposite happens (arabic people getting totally off-beat with foreigner dances), I am not surprised anymore but I admit I get a little surprised at how insensitive people's ears can be.
Yes, I understand an egyptian or a jordanian can dance salsa or mambo and not getting the lyrics but being totally OFF-BEAT is something I can hardly understand.
Open your ears, dear people! JUST LISTEN.

This is a lesson - although seaming simple - even professional dancers can learn, on and on again (including me).

JUST LISTEN. That's where the REAL DANCE starts.

NOTE:
DIEGO DAYER painting at this posting. Genius!

No comments: