Sunday, June 6, 2010

Cairo, the 6th June, 2010


The staring...at a posh Cairo SPA

O.k. I have to give myself a break: there are lots of things I already managed to adapt myself to when living in Egypt but there's one of them (from the crazy stuff club) that I cannot get a handle of: The staring of women towards another women.

I can grasp the concept of sexual harassement from men towards women - or from man to man and woman to woman in case of homossexuality - but I just can't understand why on earth any regular egyptian/arab woman loves to stare at another woman to check on her body, clothing, make-up and so on.

More so...I cannot get it when egyptian women delight themselves on staring at you when you're naked, trying to relax in a posh Cairo SPA.
I mean...give me a break, my ladies! I pay extra, EXTRA money on a good SPA in order to have a relaxing, clean, harassement free environment in which to disconnect from the outside world and that DOES NOT INCLUDE being observed, inch by inch, when I am naked in a locker room, in the jaccuzzi or sauna. Come on!!!

Haven't we introduced each other already?
Me, Jane. You, Jane too.
NOT TARZAN, dear dolls. You're not TARZAN and we're not living in the jungle where female monkeys pick each other's pubic hair for insects.
Come oonnnnnnnn.........
I have hips, breasts, arms and legs like yourself and your mums and sisters...It's really not a big deal!

So there I was, after a loud thai massage, enjoying the pleasures of being stared at by two ladies in the locker room who followed me everywhere for no reason other than to stare at me from all possible angles (and I mean...ALL possible angles).
Yes, I did try to relax.
Yes, I know all about cultural differences and allowing others to be who they are.
What about someone allowing me not to go bananas when all I wanted was an hour apart from this crazy world where I am already eaten enough.

Maybe I am missing some feminine hormone or something but I just can't understand the interest on checking another women's arses and Co.
Yes, I still love Cairo (just in case you were wondering).

No comments: