Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Entrevista a Joana Saahirah do Cairo



Memory from the Egyptian Revolution!
This is one of the many interviews I gave on portuguese television at the time of the Egyptian Revolution. I hope you understand portuguese to know what we re speaking about!


As soon as I returned to Portugal at the beggining of February, I was showered with television and radio interview requests in order to comment on the political situation of Egypt.
It was such an abnormal situation to be in but I could not give my back to the country I already consider "home".

I went on several National News editions and other television programs, not to speak about my work as it has been usual for many years now, but to follow and comment the incredible Egyptian Revolution.

It was hard to keep the tears from falling from my face, on many occasions. Watching the street fights in Midan Tahrir on the studio s screens and having the cold blood to comment on them was not easy as it wasn t easy to be rejected by the Muslim Comunity in Portugal, when I tried to organize a multi-religious prayer at the Lisbon mosque for the sake of EGYPT s peace and FREEDOM.

Nothing was easy, in fact.
And it still isn t.
The Revolution was a huge step from which egyptians are fairly proud but the FUTURE has to be built from now on.
Hoping for the best!

No comments: