Tuesday, December 6, 2011


Small gestures of Love transform our Life.
My Masters are everywhere in the skin of great people and freaks who have lost their way.
One of the simplest and most beautiful lessons I received came from a fellow dancer/artist/teacher called Aubre Hill. I met her when we shared a hotel room in the last Miami Belly Dance Convention where we both performed and taught.
She was, obviously, a lovely person from the beginning but a detail (how many times do I have to assume myself as a "detail lover-seeker"?!) caught my attention.
I had arrived from Cairo with stress, flight´s complications, a storm which stopped me from landing and performing that same night at the event and almost two days of delay on my arrival due to burocratic chaos.
I was in no mood to teach or perform. I was much more in the mood to be a bear hidden in my cave in the middle of the Winter. Duty called, though...
As soon as I woke up, rushing to teach my first workshop, Aubre had a warm cup of coffee ready for me. She didn´t ask if I wanted one or showed me how to make it. She prepared it herself and handed me the cup with a loving expression on her face, one I will not forget any time soon.
-I ´ve been reading a book that speaks about the power of small loving gestures in our daily lives. How, apparently, small acts of tenderness towards the ones who surround us can transform our lives for better...- Aubre added, while watching me delighting myself with the warm cup of coffee between my hands.
I was touched. This stranger took the time and effort to notice that I might be tired and in need of a coffee and she prepared it herself with no concrete benefit for her. An attitude like this may pass unnoticed to many or even seem insignificant to many others but not to me.
Dear Aubre, one of my spontaneous masters. Remembering you this Christmas.
Knowledge is everywhere, we just have to open our eyes (of the heart) to see it...

No comments: