Thursday, December 1, 2011

My beloved Egypt - the aftermath of Revolution...

I had no intention to go into the subject as I see the whole world seems to have an opinion about what s going on in Egypt after the Revolution. Even people who do not live in Egypt and, therefore, cannot have a clear vision of the country´s mentality and under- living conditions seem to "know it all" and express their opinion with such conviction that leaves me speechless, not willing to speak up.
What changed my mind was a phone call I got this early morning from an egyptian friend commenting how the Muslim Brotherhood won the elections on the major cities where the votes have already been counted. I was not surprised but I wish I was.

I had had many conversations with egyptian and foreigner friends about this subject: the future of Egypt. We all had one thing in common: in one way or another, we love Egypt and not just by words but for real.

The ones who do not live in Egypt, as I do for the last 6 years of my life working with and for egyptians 24 per day, seem to be very optimistic and idealistic about the whole subject. I always defended that, if democratic elections were held, Muslim Brotherhood would win and that the daily behaviour of common people in the streets of Cairo were already announcing that.

"Muslim Brotherhood" has been supported, under the table, by the United States and Israel since forever. There is a lot of interest in the victory of this religious faction because they represent another way, probably even more efficient than the one Mubarak imposed on his people, to control, manipulate and enslave egyptian people. The higher powers who are orchestrating this whole operation KNOW what they are doing and, for sure, have the knowledge that egyptian people tend to be religious by nature and that using FALSE religion to manipulate them is the easiest way to have them on their hands. I suffer, in silence, for this.

From my direct experience with egyptian people of all walks of life, I see that their hearts are beautiful but they have been trained, used to survive the only way their country allowed them to: licking the boots of authority and hierarchies, stabbing each other on the backs for advantage, being a smart ass, a thief as opposed to being HONEST and HARD WORKING, qualities which are considered clear signs of weakness and stupidity only proper of ignorant "fellahin" (peasants).

The talents, creativity, kindness, potential for ART and invention I recognize in egyptian people have never been used in their favour, always against them and the ignorance all Governments insist on imposing to its people is the THING that allows them to perpetuate a system that crowns the big thieves and destroys the good people who try to win their life with dignity and kindness.

All the time I discussed the matter of egyptian elections with friends, they were always surprised by my, apparently, pessimistic vision. I defended that the majority of egyptian people are illiterate and highly inffluenced by anything their "sheikhs" say in the prayers at the mosques spread all over Egypt. I defended that I see a scary crescendo of religious extremism in the streets of Cairo, growing day by day, expressed by the increasing presence of the Holy "Coran" in all venues and 24 hours per day. The "Coran" substituted the music and the dance in egyptian lives and that doesn t mean that people are more religious, it means that they are being brainwashed. To follow God´s wishes there is no need to swallow "Coran" 24 hours per day. To follow God´s wishes, you don´t need to cut out music, dance, art, joy from your life and cover women´s heads, faces and bodies. To follow God´s wishes you don´t need to impose it on everybody by making them listen to "sheiks" yelling out hungry messages against the "enemies" of Islam inside shopping malls, shops, taxis, supermarkets.

I LOVE EGYPT and that doesn´t mean I don´t see the bad things happening in it. I see them and I still LOVE EGYPT, despite the bad stuff or even because of them.
I wish to see this country as a FREE place where egyptian people´s abilities and talents are used to the benefit of all, a place where everyone is FREE to choose their religion and their way of life, a place where TRADITIONS add LIFE to people´s existences and do not TAKE away their lives and happiness.
A place where brains are trained to think, question and decide for themselves and NOT formated like computers to follow what religious-political powers wishes them to do for the benefit of the few extremely rich that keep sucking the lives of millions.

All of my hopes go to Egypt, my home, my school, my holly ground, the territory where I rediscovered myself and my ART of Oriental Dance.
Reality is going into a weird direction...I am ready for everything, though cause I´ve been through a LOT and always went out of every situation as victorious and wise as it gets so...let´s face the music, the BIG MUSIC!

For the ones who still wish to close their eyes to reality I say: it´s your right to do so but don´t make others believe in your own idealistic wishes or hipocrisy.
Wishing the BEST for my country who owns hald of my heart (EGYPT, always).

No comments: