Saturday, April 7, 2012


Hell season has arrived to Cairo!


I try to be optimistic and practice the so much needed quality of patience (from which I lack so much, God bless my Soul!)and tolerance. I try to live inside my own protective bubble as much as possible, I am the good girl who tries to cover herself with a bag of potatoes in order not to be so much sexually harassed from the moment I step out of my home and I have adopted the marvellous magic of isolating myself from the dirty sexual comments men throw at me in the streets of Cairo by listening to my music on the Ipod in a dangerously high volume.

I get it, "walahi!", I get it! The unemployment rate in Egypt is higher than ever, leaving frustrated men out there with nothing to do except to release their own fragility on the weaker link (that is Women and Animals, both pratically equal in rights and due respect, according to the dominating male perspective!). The sexual as well as the MENTAL, EMOTIONAL, SPIRITUAL repression has been increasing with clear exterior signs and that turns potential Human Beings intos wild beasts of the Paleolitic caverns.
I get it, I do! My "Buddha" side shows compassion towards all kinds of weirdos, freaks, disonesty and a state of madness that seems to be invading the Fifth Dimension (that is Egypt) and the whole world.

But, as my astrologer friends, would add: my Mars and my Pluto are VERY active and my explosive nature finds extra reasons to expand when the "Hell season" starts so early on...From a couple of days ago, it feels like Summer in Cairo. Hot, hot, hot!
With that, apparently, simple weather transition, comes an ever growing puzzle to solve: what do I dress when going out from my home.

Two options are available, none of them really appeals to me:

1. Covering myself with large, long coats and scarves that do not allow any form of my body be visible or even easy to imagine. I MUST look like Godzilla and carry a "Rambo Part III" expression on my face and, even then, I will be sexually harassed by men but just a little bit less than if I dared to dress like normal people under extreme heat. Being a "normal person" in Cairo, when you´re a woman, it never comes without a price tag.
Consequences: I may die suffocated or cooked under the protective garments but, hey, I will die of an honoured death and that may count!Right?! ???

2. Dressing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt (loose t-shirt, NEVER tight to the body, unless I want to be raped, followed by cars and men who will not let go until I agree with enter their vehicles and do what they consider women who walk free in the streets should do)and, therefore, being slightly comfortable while facing the extreme heat.
Consequences: Strong, irritating, offensive, aggressive sexual harassment garanteed. You may have a nervous break down, your hand´s middle finger can be stuck into the erect position for a long time after you used it so continuously and with such conviction and maybe, if you´re like me, you may fall into the murderer cathegory once you explode, once and for all, and throw yourself to the neck of one of your offenders, squeezing it until he shouts his dirty mouth.

Hmmmmmm....Not much of a choice, neither one of them...
Don´t you just love a precocious Summer in Cairo?!

2 comments:

The Unidentified said...

nice one :)

Joana Saahirah of Cairo said...

LOL
Thanks! One really needs a sharp and ever present sense of humour to deal with some kind of absurd realities.
Cheers to Hell!
J.