Thursday, April 12, 2012


Of prejudices and other demons...


A kind egyptian lady comes to me at the end of my show, visibly confused. I just performed at her daughter´s wedding and her bases have been deeply shaken.

-Joana...I have to congratulate you for the show.
-Thank you very much.
-Your dance is...(searching for the right word)...Different from other belly dancers I´ve seen. Even better than egyptians.
-Thanks again.
-We knew you were beautiful and very professional but no one could expect you to touch our hearts and that´s what you do every time you move.
(Now I was the one searching for words to answer).

-Is this a new kind of dance you are inventing?
(My face grows weird and twisted, trying to make sense of what the sweet lady is telling me).

-Ahhh...not really. This is Oriental Dance, YOUR DANCE. EGYPTIAN DANCE. But I do it my way, more like an Art than just shaking. Got it?

-So that´s it. We were all wondering who taught you how to dance THAT way.
-Many great teachers have taught me but, in the end, it is the DANCE that I FEEL and all I want is the audience to FEEL it with me.

-Oh, really?! Yes, it is a different dance. Very glad that you´re not just a "belly dancer" like all the rest.

??? (Me, happy face but speechless...)

No comments: