Monday, April 2, 2012






The Royal Ignorants around the block...





Everywhere, really... but here they tend to excell themselves quantity and quality wise.

I wasn´t even gonna comment on this one but my nerves took away my concentration and ability to control my most visceral impulses.




Being treated like dirt in Egypt is not fresh news to anyone. As a Woman, as a Dancer, as a Foreigner FREE person who will not bend to the regular state of corruption and lack of Humanity in a society gone completely nuts, I have faced a LOT of troubles, attacks and prejudice related comments which would through the Dalai Lama into a scary rage.



I am also used to people, specially men, patronizing me by ignoring the fact that I have a brain that goes with the only thing they are able to see: my body. Being a HUMAN BEING with a brain, a heart, a will which will not be influenced by their whims , a soul of my own seem to be as surprising to most egyptian/arab men as a cow with wings.


Once they realize I am not "that" shallow and stupid, after all, they still tend to paternize me, play the dirty manipulation game, throw at me one of the famous mafia games they seem to enjoy so much.

Empresarios, managers, employees working in the Oriental Dance field are, usually, completely out of the ARTISTIC realm. Understanding nothing about music, dance, art, soul...I mean: NOTHING.

What REALLY surprised me was to see myself in a meeting with the most prestigious performing arts venue in Egypt, surrounded by its council (all men, of course), discussing the possibility of having an Oriental Dance and Folcloric show there and observing the biggest meeting of assholes since George W.Bush was elected President of the United States.



I was not expecting any genius comittee. I know damn well that Government employees (specially the ministers and other high positions) are nothing more than private friends of the ones in power. You may have a minister of Culture who is against Dance simply because it is not one of his personal favourite things, you may have an Economy minister that barely knows how much is it one plus one and so on BUT...Never in my wildest imagination would I conceive such stupidity, cheap behaviour and insensibility.




As I am sitting at this BIG venue meeting, presenting the project for a show like Egypt has never seen, the Big Boss of the whole operation (supposed to be an expert in music and dance), threw at me with a grin in his empty face:



-You know...your credentials are great but we cannot accept "Shari´a il Haram" (Pyramid street, famous for its 5th cathegory night clubs) in our Institution.



-Sorry but...who mentioned "Shari´a il Haram" here?!


-Oh...it is clear that "Raks Sharki" (Oriental Dance) is a thing for naked women showing off their bodies to men.


-Really? I didn´t know that. Your excellence may frequent places I ´ve never been in. That´s your problem, not mine.

-"Yanni"...what do you mean?

-I mean that, the Oriental Dance I know has nothing to do with naked women showing off their bodies to men. If you have that concept about it, you must have seen it several times in order to be so sure of it. I do not frequent such places so this is a BIG difference between me and you.

-I don´t need to frequent these places to know all about it. The fact is we can have Egyptian Folclore with a group of dancers with their bodies covered but not that CABARET dance you are talking about.



-Dear sir. That cabaret dance, as you call it, is an Art like any other and it is part of your country´s identity. I have studied Classical Ballet for many years and it seems obvious to me that all dancers in this style show off their bodies in a much more explicit way than in Oriental Dance and yet you allow it here, sponsor it and call it high entertainment.

-But that is Classical Ballet. It is different.

-Why different?! The exposure of their bodies is acceptable and the exposure of Oriental Dance bodies is not. Why?

-There is no why. It is what it is. And my answer to your proposal is NO. It would be a huge shame to have Oriental Dance in our Institution. Just imagine what the press would say...

-Feeling shame of the music and dance of your own country is the same as being ashamed of yourself, as egyptian.


-...Ah?! ...... (Silence. I guess I pushed the string way too much...his brain could not follow me at all).


-I would like to understand WHY it is forbidden to present Classical Egyptian Dance here?

-It JUST is.

-Well, sure. I just wonder WHY?

I dared way too much by pushing this asshole rock from the past century to present me a LOGICAL reason for their denial. Deep inside, I knew he would have no argument other than the clichés these paleolithic men present: dancers are naked seducing men and that is not Art. Period. No more explanations or questionings because that requires a WORKING BRAIN and that´s something they do not possess.

The same idiots (without ideas, curiously enough...) who show despise for the poor "raks sharki" are the ones who spend their nights surrounded by prostitutes (not DANCERS) in the "Haram" street cabarets while their wives are at home, taking care of their children or sowing their socks.

Hipocrisy, stupidity and tyranic fools are STILL ruling Egypt.

Such a shame...not even for me as I will find a BETTER venue for this SHOW. God has the most original ways to show you the best path for your dreams realization.

Not for Oriental Dance.

BUT FOR EGYPT. This country will never grow up while assholes like these ones are able to make decisions based on their own ignorance and lack of Vision.

No comments: