Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The perks* of my last trip to Egypt

 
 
 
 
It was a silent, loving, personal, intense and short trip to Egypt but the events that filled it were worth a thousand years of Life. These were some of the perks of a blessed* and happy trip:

1. Staying with a dear friend that believes I am a singer (?!) - therefore making me sing Portuguese Fado, Jazz and Brazilian songs to our home guests (all Brazilians whom any Portuguese worth of its name considers "brothers and sisters").

Staying with this friend made me feel at home, warm and cared for. Such a wonderful gift from Heaven.

2. Being with my dearest teacher, friend and dance passionate pal: Master Mahmoud Reda. Although I found him less than his full self (I never saw or felt Mahmoud s age simply because he did not show it) we still managed to share some usual giggles, jokes, dance news, plans, hugs and so much Love that will always bind us. My relationship with Mahmoud is untouchable. More than a teacher and supporter of my talent, Mahmoud is my grandfather, one of my biggest references in Egyptian Dance and also a part of my eternal home in Egypt.

3. Teaching talented dancers in a series of daily private lessons that made me fall in love with teaching all over again (in the space of two weeks I taught dancers from Norway, China, Japan and Taiwan - talk about multi cultural bliss...).

4. Watching my dear sister Yasmin perform at a Contemporary Dance event in downtown Cairo. Incredible mood that mixes the traditional neighbourhood - baladi space - with some modern, cutting edge performances and people. Tradition and modernity "almost" chatting with each other. LOVED IT.

5. Feeling the LOVE of a few TRUE friends I gathered in Egypt (a special thanks to Yasmine and Sherif who were the my guardian angels par excellence).
My friends know who they are *(love you, guys). Thankful for the great exceptions to the rule these friends represent.
"You make me smile with my heart..." - someone said in a song called "Funny Valentine". And I add: "you REALLY do."

6. Talking Arabic in the streets with perfect strangers and  even being able to laugh at some sexual harassment comments (for the first and only time!) that mentioned President Morsi in a great figurative manner *("Ah, ya Morsi...taala we shuf el haram da, ya Morsi...Alah, ya Morsi!").

7. Reading Naguib Mahfouz while sipping my favourite coffee and observing some street cats playing outside.

8. Saying goodbuy to a man I love *(he knows who he is).
Just like Egypt - much less than perfect, chaotic, illogical, even the opposite of human so very often but...allas...part of me and forever in every step that I take and every dance that I am.

9. Getting rid of a work contract I was not interested in anymore. Not me. Not my wish anymore. Not my present or future. Another trains - or airplanes, should I say? - must be taken.
That was a battle (like so many others), oh Lord! But I won it.

10. Cutting many umbilical chords that needed to be - urgently - cut so that I could BREATH the NEW LIFE that I am.




Deeply thankful for this BLISSFUL journey - a new step towards higher flights.

No comments: