Wednesday, April 27, 2011


Choreography delights!
My natural expression goes directly to the hands of IMPROVIZATION.
I am an emotional, passionate, immediate dancer who will do whatever I feel at the very moment I enter on stage. No one knows what will be, I don´t know and I don´t want to know what will be because reacting to the MOMENT, second by second, is what creates the magic I love so much in DANCE.
So it´s with a lot of surprise that I find myself tortuting my head - and self-criticism is helping a LOT! - and enjoying, at the same time, doing the work my dear Mahmoud Reda incentivated me so much to do: CHOREOGRAPHING to teach advanced students and professionals at world festivals.
From the many things I am learning in the choreography work, here are some of the jewels I can squeeze out from the orange right now:
1. Knowing that you have limited ideas about dance is a humbling process and wanting to go beyond them is AMAZING.
2. Searching for spaces of SILENCE-PAUSE and FEELING in the dance sequence you´re creating is as important as coming out with the steps and combinations.
Dancers often strive to create new steps and clever combinations and that hunger for movement gives them a dangerous kind of amnesia: they forget how to listen to the silence present in the music, how, when and where to make a pause (that can be more powerful and expressive than 1000 movements) and how to create a sacred space of FEELING in the music.
Movement machines are not, necessarily, dancers.
So where it is the space for breathing? Just being still and feeling the music?
All movements are reduced to nothing when these spaces are not created.
3. Not falling in the predictable movement patterns which are familiar to us is another ART all on its on.
Am I staring to fall in love with choreography?
(I guess the answer is a round and fat YES!).


No comments: