Wednesday, April 27, 2011



Portugal, the 27th April, 2011
Women´s magazines.
To my surprise, I grab some portuguese magazines while I´m around and notice that women´s magazines (such as "MAXIMA" and "ELLE") are almost exclusively dedicated and focused to diets, expensive creams and plastic surgery directed.
The only magazine I read - religiously- every single month is "OPRAH MAGAZINE" because it´s the only publication in the world which has the graphics, concept and writing I appreciate. Sure there´s a bit of dieting there but but with different, much more human and intelligent twist.
But, most of all, O Magazine celebrates HEALTH and HAPPINESS, not a plastic/uthopian way of life marketing experts try to sell us all over the world.
Accepting women´s bodies as they are without cutting them from the inside out is still a reality to come. No society, as far as I know, allowed women to be who they are for REAL without imposing violent, expensive, often unattainable icons of beauty that they smartly associate with success and - allas! - HAPPINESS.
The multi-million dollar cosmetic surgery industry is very thankful to this fact and it´s with such horror that I try to read an interesting article in one of these women portuguese magazines and only find four or five pages worth my attention.
The rest is pure mental pressure and brain washing to women who just want to be accepted, appreciated, loved. Selling the idea that cutting their body and consuming ultra-expensive anti-age creams to achieve that acceptance and happiness is not only a falacy but a cruel joke most of us didn´t quite get yet.
In the Middle East, the fever is higher than anywhere else. Also Latin America with the "macho" culture that values women as pure and limited sexual objects to be owned - depending on their appearance - by some generous Prince Charming who will make her happy simply because she´s sooooooooooooo damn beautiful.
In one of these magazines, I had the chance to read an article of feminist-polemist Camille Paglia about Elysabeth Taylor and how she incarnated the anti-barbie movement, her own way.
She was fierce, wild, misbehaved BIG TIME and had a round, raw figure that needed no special diets to be kept "au point". She was VENUS out of control and she was a WOMAN.
I find this example a really great one.
There are industries that dictate how women all over the world should look like and most of us do follow these magnates of deceive and the willingness to be accepted as a BEAUTIFUL WOMAN seems to make women blind and even crazy.
After the whole brain washing and pressure from society, magazines, fashion industry and all that it´s connected to it, women go, literally, MAD!
And there they go, following an ideal that is not REAL or even desirable but that will pay for many magnates to cost their mansions, boats and trips around the world.
Loving and taking care of yourself is essential to a happy life. Changing our appearance or being aware of the importance of going on with our lives looking as good as we look inside is also cool for me. What is not cool is to follow the carrot they put in front of the donkey, never quite getting it.
Middle Eastern Women do not even value their round figures as they, traditionally, did. The anorexic ideals are entering Middle East at a steady pace and changing women ´s perception of BEAUTY and FERTILITY.
Cosmetic surgery, on the other hand, was never so hot as it is nowadays in this part of the world. Lebanon, Syria, Egypt, Dubai, Abou Dahbi, just to name a few, are infected with all types of cosmetic surgery craziness and women, in their still empty minds, follow the "El Dorado" of beauty in order to be VALUED in the market of MEN.
I am often seen as a vanity prick! As it happens very often, this could not be further from the truth.People who KNOW me are aware of my love for my body, for food and a great time, for LIFE. Sometimes, I was considered too skinny and other times I´ve heard - by Eastern men - as a little too fat. Some like it, some don´t. Today I am thin and blond and fabulous. Tomorrow I am not simply because they changed their mood and opinion.
Should I believe all the comments that we already made on me, I would be a lunatic wandering the streets of Cairo, by now.
I do know about the distinction between REALITY and IDEALS that are sold to women in order to make loads of money out of them.
I do know that being skinny doesn´t bring happiness or appreciation for your worth.
I do know that women get older - as do men- and that no cosmetic surgery can change that (although it can delay the signs of age).
I do know that a bit of brain and balance is urgently needed and I truly hope women´s magazines stop to go along with this brain washing for the sake of money making and EMPOWER real women to be who they are, the best of who they are. REAL.
Let´s wake up, shall we?

No comments: