Friday, April 8, 2011

Yet another egyptian lady I know who surrendered to her family s pressure and is getting married, by their will and with a man her family chose, next month. As she tells me the news, I see no smile or excitement on her face. In fact, she speaks like she just discovered she has a lethal disease and has only a few months to live. I don t question it anymore. I got tired of questioning everybody s reasons to settle, marry and live their lives with men/women they do not love. For me, as radical as I am in these matters, it s not HUMAN to live, go to sleep and wake up in the same bed and home with a person you don t love from all your heart and soul. I would rather be killed before I accepted someone choose the man I will marry or live with but, surprise SURPRISE!, I am not everybody and human beings have their own, often strange, way of acting upon their HUMANITY. I was invited to the wedding as a Dancer, performing for the wedding guests, and as a friend. I feel so sad for my friend that I don t think I can accept any of these invitations. Somehow, no matter how many unnatural things I see in Egypt, there are deal breakers I never allowed to change inside me. Prostituting for my ART is one of them. Allowing other people to determine who I am gonna live with is another. Marrying/living with someone I don t love simply because that s what my family wants is just some Medieval possibility I thought was only real in historical movies. Is it me or is this world totally upside down?!

No comments: