Tuesday, February 14, 2012



Hipocrisy!




I sware I try to understand it, I even sware I try hard not to judge and learn from the different ways of Living I can so colourfully observe in Egypt. Yet I just CANNOT accept HIPOCRISY.


As I returned from the gym, I observed as an egyptian girl fully covered (including the "hijab" that hides the hair) flirted shamelessly with a young taxi driver. She was driving her own car and he was driving his taxi. She teased him, stared at him and smiled, winked and finally said something I could not understand (neither can I imagine). The whole way was a series of cheap attempts to catch his attention in ways that not even the cheapest prostitute would use.


I already find disgusting that men sexually harass and pick up women in the streets of Cairo as if this is the most normal thing in the world. Knowing that women/girls -veiled women who should act according to their religion and appearance - do the same leaves me speechless.


In a sexually segregated society with a crescendo of religious extremism -palpable in all aspects of our daily lives over here - it is "normal" to expect all kinds of weird behaviours. Men and women were created to live together as naturally as any other animal species. Whatever you repress, you expand. Law of Nature that religious extremists - of all the so "called" religions - do not seem to grasp with these - and other - disastrous results.


Brains, oh brains! Wish to know where have you gone on vacation (for way too long...).

No comments: