Wednesday, February 22, 2012

interview samia et taheya.mpg



Oriental Dance history in the making over here.
Part of interviews to iconic egyptian dancers Samia Gamal and Tahya Carioca.
It doesn´t mean they were the best of their time. I believe they were not. Yet they were the most well known and, certainly, they DO represent a kind of MAGIC that I guess it is practically lost in egyptian oriental dance.

Mona el Sayed and Lucy are, for me, the last egyptian oriental dancers who deserve that name. With the end of their active careers as performers and teachers, something not short of a TREASURE gets lost forever. Ironically enough, it is a duty of FOREIGNER DANCERS all over the world to RESCUE that TREASURE (so simply called SOUL/HEART) and bring it back to life once more. Once the East gave us some of their juicy SPIRIT and FEELING. Now I guess it is our turn to give it back to them.

I am, certainly, doing my part. Hope you all, dear fellow dancers, do the same!

No comments: