Saturday, March 3, 2012




I confess.






This is how I feel in most egyptian weddings *(check the image on the right side), not really knowing if I should DANCE *(which is actually, my job) or make the happy guests jump.



Not easy to coordenate my artistic pleasures - and duties, I guess - with the mood of most audiences in Cairo weddings. It seems that, in these occasions, people wish for someone who can makes them yell, jump and do some acrobatics over their joy and not so much an ARTIST who is doing what an ARTIST is supposed to do.



Though the frustration is palpable, I always end up surrendering to egyptian hearts and go with the flow, jumping and doing monkey business with everybody else. The results of this bombastic combination - a frustrated me and a cheerful egyptian wedding audience - can be from disastrous to extremely comical. I even ended up doing a solo on a little chair, clapping and yelling with the crowds while my musicians were drowned, literally speaking, beneath the guests feet.



Crazy, craaaaaaaaaaaaazy Cairo!



(love it, though...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess you could manage it by dividing up the time, and having that discussion up front with the audience of what you're going to do: 1) I Will perform this .... then 2) We will do silly wedding stuff afterwards like .... 3) Solicit ideas for silly wedding stuff from audience .... Then everyone is happy :)