Thursday, March 22, 2012





What moves you?


I have often said that my duty as a Dancer is to MOVE my audiences on many levels.

I have also asked myself and other professional dancers I am honoured to teach:

What moves YOU when you dance.

What moves you, as a dancer, will define on a big scale the result of your work, of that I have no doubt. This is part of what I call the "invisible technique" of Oriental Dance or, in another words, those things you work on an invisible level, very hard to be identified by your audiences but essential on the final result of each dance.

Some dancers, consciously or not, are moved by their ego.

Others just want to be heard, understood, be the center of attention as a compensation for some kind of default in their lives.

Many others will dance for the show off, the applauses, the joy they imagine fame will bring them.

Some make it for money. Period.

Others for power.

I am often talked about in very strange ways that are not connected with me in any way. I take great pride and fun on listening to critics, professional haters who don«t know more than just "speak about others" and such. I laugh at all the comments and learn from them too.

What no stranger comments will tell you is what I know, deep inside.



What moves me in DANCE is PASSION and strange URGENCY to MOVE every time I listen to a music that MOVES me inside. It is a very basic, primary, instinct based on my very wild nature.

The animal I am DEMANDS to move and fly with the music. No other goals intended. That is IT. Hard to understand, I know...it is ME and I never quite got it, until today. But, hey, Dance is Life and LIFE goes beyond our own understanding skills.

I leave you with the same question I have to ask myself on a constant basis:

WHY do you DANCE...

No comments: