Thursday, March 20, 2014

Poor men of this world (my heart is with you)

Photo by André Elbing - me, performing (what it seems to be a Charleston step) at the great THEATRE "LA CIGALE", Paris.
 This comes without a hint of irony (ok, maybe with a little bit of irony...just a little bit...): poor men of this world, my heart is with you.
Interesting how my world was exclusively masculine for many years: during the 7 years of life and career in Cairo (Egypt) I was surrounded by testosterone 24 hours per day. My musicians and other co-workers were men (except for the cleaning ladies who were always my dearest supporters), my assistant was a man (with a very special Naglé by his side - a woman so strong and fenomenal that surpasses any sex definition) and my friends were mostly men (exception made to my divine sister Yasmine). I was living it and liking it - always loved men and what they bring to my life. Yet, since I started to get out of my Cairo Cocoon and travel the world for teaching and performing, my male predominant reality drastically changed. I´ve been teaching, watching and breathing along with women from all corners of the globe and I must tell you this: the LADIES ARE ROCKING IT like never before.

Poor, poor men...I can only imagine how lost and scared they must be. NOW - only now - I understand why there are so many INCREDIBLE single women and why sexes don´t seem to get along pacificly like they - apparently - did on previous generations. The amount of interesting, beautiful, independent, creative, brave, AMAZING women I´m meeting on my world travels is unbelievable. Men don´t seem to match this immense growth; they are kind of dis-oriented in this new universe where women are not their little shadows anymore and won´t stand for less than equally great partners by their side.

Man, oh man! My heart is with you, dear fellows. I get you; I get your point and pain. Just a suggestion: take the JUMP with us by our sides (not above us, not bellow us, not behind or ahead of us: on our sides) and DARE to be REBORN. Men have to let of their old ideas of "machos" and masculinity and grow for the sake of procreation, happiness and a present* moment filled with more love, passion and mutual inspiration.

Hats off to the Women I´m meeting along the Road(s): you are FABULOUS!
Hats off to the Men who CAN die, grow and be reborn into the partners they already are (if only they knew how to let go of their fears and past brainwashing).

Reading "Superman is an Arab" by the bright Joumana Haddad and finding some mirrors over there:
://www.amazon.com/Superman-Arab-Marriage-Disastrous-Inventions/dp/190890609X



2 comments:

Sara Naadirah said...

Agree 100%!!!

Joana Saahirah of Cairo said...

I bet you do. The space that divides women and men´s evolution is really huge - I can see it clearly right now. And yet Life makes sense with each other´s presence. Men must elevate and change in order to walk by our side. So many FANTASTIC women out there and so many scared, disoriented men. Imagine if they also make that JUMP - how wonderful it will be for everybody!