Sunday, March 9, 2014

World trips, dance, lessons, LIFE* (this last month´s ride)

Rocking the stage in Slovenia*

Images may speak for themselves so the need to explain what has been happening in these last few weeks of intense work travels around the world is very small.
I never presumed Egypt - and the career I built there - was my only University - never. Deep inside, I know Universities are everywhere when you´re ALIVE and really paying attention*. Taking care of my mum at the hospital (right now) while she recovers is an University course; performing and teaching in so many different countries is another University; reediting my "other"* book to publish after THE SECRETS OF EGYPT - DANCE, LIFE & BEYOND is yet another and the list goes on and on. Only the ones who don´t wish to learn remain untouched by Life´s generous array of Lessons, Exams, Crusades, Final and Initial tests, Initiations and such.

From the qualities God has given me (to create with, share and carry), the one I cherish the most is the humbleness to permanently transform myself, break walls and LEARN. Yes: I am a good student.
The World is my stage, my school, my Life (me) and here I go, constantly eager to be better and higher than yesterday. Here´s the only reference that guides me: my own soul (and for tha FREEDOM I am eternally grateful).
 
Now, shortly, a bit from these last trips:

Slovenia was covered in snow and rain (NOT a good combination, now I know, if you want to keep your legs unbroken) and it reminded me about CHARACTER and the courage to do what´s right, no matter what´s happening around me.
Me, Ksenija and Tomaz in Slovenia - post show.
Ksenija, the organizer, was superb in the way she managed chaos and "not so noble" intentions from other sponsors who decivded to organize a last minute event JUST on the same days as our event in order to (well, you know the rest).
Trying to destroy other people´s honest work with the hope of  having a little spot light of your own  NEVER fit inside my head; it still surprises me how some poor creatures think so little of themselves that they have to waste their time harming others - that´s really sad and it speaks loads about the way they see themselves (not good enough to succeed over their own feet).
Slovenia show, baby!
Despite the snow storm and other difficulties, the EVENT was fabulous, heart warming and - I hope - inspiring for everyone.











In Kiev, Ukriane, enjoying the gorgeous (Dostoyevskyan) snow.
Kiev (Ukraine) was another (lovely) surprise with amazing dancers, students and audiences who took me in their arms and soul. Security in Kiev was already an issue so I couldn´t visit the historical centre but I had a (hauntingly beautiful) glimpse of a frozen lake and its daring fishermen who break the lake´s iced ground and sit for hours hoping to get some lunch or dinner.
I´ve also received one of the most relevant HUGS of my life from a student (also a dancer in the Competition) who came to tell me: "I hope your angel always gives you those wings you have so that you can fly wherever you wish." It wasn´t so much what she told me but HOW she told it. I´ll never - ever - forget it.

Performing in Eilat, Israel. Photo by the TALENTED GALIA COHEN PERES (love Galia!).
This time I was lucky - no hate mail received, no mean comments on my Fb or Twitter. Representing Egypt in Israel - its "enemy" on several levels - was a STATEMENT, more than just a pleasure. I do understand the political and historical reasons that keep feeding the conflict between the two countries but the role of my ART is to UNITE, to bring UNDERSTANDING, PEACE and LOVE and not to increase the negative, the misunderstandings, the hate.
When I say that Oriental Dance has a RELIGIOUS purpose, I really live by those words: RELIGIOUS means RE-UNITING, literally. That´s what I do.
The biggest Dance/Love Feast on earth was a smashing success - well deserved. Orit and Yael - the organizers - are a superb combination

Teaching at Eilat Festival.
of talent (as teachers and dancers), business sense, managing skills and public relations. No matter how many people they have in that festival - and this year they had A LOT! -, they still find the time and energy to properly address everyone´s needs and presence.
The selections artists is also SUPERB - great and intelligent combination of talent and human quality.
Taking the BEST of Egypt to Israel is an honour  - and mission - I took for the second time (I already taught and performed at Eilat Festival last year).
Judging - well surrounded - at Eilat Festival.
We´re all much more similar than we think. Politics, Religion and other little powers likes to makes us believe otherwise but Eilat Festival is a good exemple of the truth*.
Thanks, again, to Orit for the respect and appreciation given to my work as well as the wonderful dancers, students, audiences I met there. You all made me VERY happy.
With the one and only Mr. Serkan (aka my partner in crime or, simply, B.B.) at Eilat Festival.

Then came Paris (Cairo By Night Festival) and its (also) amazing time. GREAT show at a (sold out) LA CIGALE theatre (next to the Moulin Rouge); sold out Saiidi workshop, private lessons to teach and Paris to fall in love with. This was my third visit to the City of Romance but I feel like it was the first. I´ve seen and felt Paris differently - with REAL eyes and heart. Thanks to Ilhem for the organization and trust in my work. The SUPPORT and FAITH of sponsors, dancers, students and audience is ALWAYS precious to me.
Paris, je t´aime.
NOT missed: show at the Moulin Rouge (biensur!) with its Art Nouveau interiors and its eye catching show full of stage cloths that I want to steal in a neatly organized robbery to that theatre; Montmatre and its "patisseries" (BEST macarons in the world) and "Le Sacré Coeur" watching over Paris like an all powerful mother; Notre-Dame catedral and surrounding neighbourhoods; my favourite bookshop: SHAKESPEARE & COMPANY where I found some pearls from Colette (also one of my elected writers)...ah, what else...Life´s bigger than words, folks!

Two notes worth mentioning:
Audience at LA CIGALE = superb. As soon as my name was announced, there was an uproar in the audience calling for me and Portugal (thanks to Patrícia Carneiro for the love and support at this occasion)



Post- show at LA CIGALE theatre. Photo by the wonderful André Elbing.

Slovenia show with sun shinning over me:)
the problem seems to arise. Having been educated to fight evilness and repress it inside myself, it was quite revealing to actually LISTEN and RECOGNIZE that darkness is as necessary as light. I don´t mean - by this - that is ok to surrender to our negative, dark side but to ACCEPT it and manage it the best we can. In Hindu religion, there is a clear division of tasks for the Gods: some create, others sustain creation and others are entitled to destroy. Life can only exist with death - here´s the cycle of Life. Thanking to all the angels and demons of the over populated* Notre-Dame Cathedral. The good student learnt her lesson.
At my favourite bookshop: Shakespeare & Company.

Performing at LA CIGALE, Paris. Photo by André Elbing.


Falling in love (in) with Paris.

Performing at La Cigale theatre, Paris. Photo by André Elbing.




Reminder of my PURPOSE - it was never only* about the dance... Bringing back this Universal Language of the Soul to the world was and still is my only reason to MOVE, DANCE, WORK, keep BELIEVING.

No comments: