Monday, October 24, 2011

About retreats and security in Cairo.


A lot has been said about Egypt since the Revolution started.
Sure there were mistakes made. It is impossible to have a perfect behaviour happening with millions of people united in a chaotic situation that the PEOPLE of EGYPT managed incredibly well.
While on the phone with my friend Mahmoud (THE Mahmoud Reda, the GENIUS and my dearest teacher and sweet heart) I was commenting with him how many things I read and heard about the insecurity in Cairo due to the incomplete police forces in the streets and general lack of authority being practiced in the over populated city.

Now...let s be fair.
I may be one of the very few dancers who dares to speak the TRUTH about this incredible country and the experience of living and performing here so I must tell it as it is in order not to disappoint myself and my blog s followers.

Egyptian people have managed this transitory period in the most amazing way. Other countries, as it happened and it s still happening, fell into war zone situations and total destruction in the same revolutionary attempts.

Sure the economy is down and the tourism too. Sure there are prices to pay for every Revolution. No doubt about it.
Sure there is the proper instability of the upcoming elections and all of us not knowing who will represent us and lead the country BUT there is PEACE and SAFETY and TOURISTS are welcomed.
If there was a rise in criminality and chaos in the streets, then I didn t notice it.
Cairo is still the safest city in the world for me. That hasn t changed.

The demonstrations that keep erupting in the city are localized and do not represent any danger to passers by or tourists. I ve passed by some of them and saw how people - and some police forces - manage it well.
Maybe the news show you all the darkest details of the whole situations. But dark details can build up a wrong image of the country and its people. Manipulating images is the main crime of news these days and it can give a totally wrong idea of what s REALLY going on.


Sure I don t mean news are lying about it all BUT I should give my own experience s feed back. There have been clashes between christians and muslims (no doubt, due to the willingness of some powerful ones to SEPARATE egyptians and, therefore, make them weaker) and eventual violent episodes BUT that doesn t reflect on the security of our daily lives in the country.

As I receive messages of dancers asking me if they should come here or not, I must say what I SEE around me and that is:
"Come! You are so welcome in Egypt and the current unstable situation does NOT mean any harm or danger to you."


Often find a gap between the news that are spread about Egypt and the REALITY I see in front of my eyes on a daily basis. I cannot express, like a true reporter, what s going on ALL around the country but maybe my personal experience can cover some of the true facts.
Also notice that Egypt is a country full of contradictions and that s one of the many reasons that makes this place such an interesting, often exhausting and challenging place to live and learn from. Although we tend to cathalog Middle East and countries like this one as repressed, mentally located in Medieval Ages and such other things that happen to - also! - be true, I see much further than that, including all the shades of grey that go between black and white.

Examples:
There is a crescendo of sexual harassment in the streets of Cairo ( I can t figure out why) BUT the security that taxi drivers and other public employees garanty you in public spaces is enormously touching.
Being a woman, walking in any street of Cairo, you ll hear sexual remarks at every minute (even if you re covered with loose pieces of heavy, ugly pieces of fabric) BUT you will find people watching your back everywhere to make sure no one touches you or robs you of your material possessions.

Oh, yes. It would be very easy to put Egypt in a box but things are not as simple and linear as that, specially after a very SPECIAL REVOLUTION which egyptian people are still trying to go forward with.
I praise, not the egyptian politicians who are as corrupt and shameless crooks as any other common politician in the world, plain puppets in the hands of corporations and money making machines, BUT I praise the common man and woman of Egypt who can feel compassion and care for their community and its inhabitants.

Human beings are multi-dimensional and Egypt is a good example of that BUT I have to say that, despite normal conflicts that follow any Revolution, I am proud of Egypt and its people.
And this doesn t come from following the news or going with the current - any current. It doesn t even come from an attempt to be nice or diplomatic (if you follow this blog, you ll know by now that I am NOT a diplomatic person).
It comes from my own personal experience and view of this beloved country.
To all tourists (dancers and non dancers):

Feel welcomed and safe to visit us in Egypt!


Meanwhile...still on retreat...recovering some energies for challenges that do not cease to arrive to my hands.

P.S. Egypt is not ONLY Cairo. Some amazing beach and archeological zones and retreats can be found all over the country. Check them and come!

No comments: