Wednesday, May 30, 2012

"I told you so..."



Being a dancer performing in Egypt has much more to it than just gaining the superficial title of a "star" or dealing with a world (dirty, full of traps as well as a Great School in itself) that most dancers envy throughout the world. In my profession I have the chance to see, observe and interact with the lowest and highest social classes in the country and that is more than enough to read the state of Egypt.

For me, as a conscious observer of the movie I live in it has been clear, at least for the past 3 years - that Egypt was taking an extremist turn on the so called religious mentality. Music has been replaced by the "Quran" twenty four hours a day, dance is less and less required at weddings by egyptians who used to see it as an essential part of their celebrations and a general mental backwards movement seemed way to obvious for me to ignore. No one - specially my egyptian friends - agreed with me and, tenderly/paternalisticaly, called me a pessimist.

Last elections in Egypt proved me right. I wish they hadn´t. It all went down the toilet between two kinds of shit: the old shit belonging to ex-president Hosny Mubarak and the new shit under the claws of the Muslim Brotherhood.
Why was I not surprised at all?! Egyptian Revolution has ripped off the octopuss head - aka Hosny Mubarak - but forgot that this animal has millions of arms, tentacles, associated parts of a body profoundly corrupted, the same parts that glued each other and Mubarak´s throne for so long.

Now the jig is up: the same old corrupts are STILL commanding the country through the only power the world knows nowadays (the bling, baby: MONEY) but two evil faces seem to be presented as the chosen by the people. Part of democracy, after all.(?!)


Let the devil come and decide!

No comments: