Thursday, May 31, 2012

The maritime souls...

First of all, let me say this: Irish and portuguese have a lot in common. It takes one to recognize the other.
We both are bathed by the powerful/sorrowful Atlantic ocean which gives depth, a poetic view on Life and some kind of translucid sadness to our characters, we both have been emmigrants for certain periods of our Histories, we both have a wicked, often sarcastic sense of humour and we both are humble, hard working and umpretentious. To name just a  few treats that I see as connecting both countries.
Something about the deep sea that adds a "je ne sais quois" of nostalgia to specific countries. Maybe the endless horizon, the curiosity to see what´s on the other side of the limits your eyes can catch...I don´t know what it is. Maybe magic* that the sea offers - in a secret ceremony - to some countries which carry the heavy burden of FREEDOM thirst on their backs.


My first impression of Ireland, as I set foot on it was purely intuitive based on the energies I picked up in the air. Such an History of violent invasions, colonizations, escapes of survival, forced emmigration as a way to survive famine and there you go: no matter how much people may sing, dance, drink and be jolly, there is an underlying melancholy that does not put you down but, yet!, it confers HUMANITY to Irish people.

Lots of interesting characters, tough on the outside but sweet like honey on the inside, bars from where burst of alcohol and music seem go out on a daily basis, a love for culture (their own and others) and an attachment to the simple things in life that I also find in my own family background of portuguese peasants.


I was, immediately, in love with Dublin. It is an, apparently, kick-ass city but cozy with its river Liffey orienting the visitor, the working theatres, the multi-nationality sound background, a nebline that pervails even under an apparently sunny day.
The city is gripping, vibrant and full of interesting people with OPEN MINDS that I truly appreciate. It is a FACT: I have a "thing" for intelligent people as well as for clean hearts and bright souls that thrive on Life´s challenges and marvellous opportunities of growth.

Before heading to work, I spent an whole day walking around Dublin, browsing through museums (Irish National Museum and Irish Writers Museum are FANTASTIC), chatting with people in a laid back "New York" way, sipping coffee at cafes on the street and being drawned by the seductive irish music.

I had no idea of the Journey that would lay ahead. Giving and taking. Being surprised,learning, opening up to brand new experiences that expand me as an Artist and  Human Being. Isn´t it the greatest of all gifts*?!

No comments: