Monday, May 21, 2012

Mohamed Abdel Wahab Cléopatra



Talk about Courage (and the inconscience that often comes with it)!

"Cleopatra" was the first oriental song I performed on stage, in Portugal, back at the beginning of this amazing JOURNEY. I chose it by ear, from one of the cds I bought - kilos of them! - on my study trips to Egypt. No idea how classical, sophisticated or "whatever" music experts may call it. I just knew that I LOVED it and felt it deep in my heart so I dared to do it: a fresh, unexperienced dancer doing what most professionals do not dare to do. Happy and unaware of the treasure I chose for myself.

Love Abdul Wahab, love "tarab" (so much of this concept defines ME) and learnt to love this desert crossing. This is one of its many oasis of sweet dates, crystaline ponds where I see my own reflection, "nay" tones in the air caressing everyone´s sorrows...

No comments: