Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What makes a GREAT Dancer/Performer?

In my head, a Dancer is a Performer.
Some of them are also good teachers, others are only meant for the stage. Others will never be able to improvise, only dancing on choreographed pieces and others are uncapable of choreographing a piece. Very few gather the whole faces of the enormous task of BEING a DANCER (performer, teacher, improviser, choreographer ALL at the same time and level).

But as I meet more and more audiences from different spots in the world, there is a common denominator I find in the definition of a GREAT DANCER. It doesn´t really matter, on the hot spot (aka stage*****), how many graceful movements you´ll show or how hard you´ve worked on a technical or even musicality/ sensibility level. Sure those tools help you EXPRESS yourself more clearly/interestingly but they will not make you a GREAT dancer.

What I find and confirm time after time is that a GREAT dancer is the one who can forget about herself - her own ego, product of a mind which is always limited and will only reproduce already known material that it stores - and melt into the audience´s energy, heart, soul allowing MUSIC to gather both sides of the same coin.
I find it a GIFT* from God that some dancers borrow, frequently or only once in  a while. Before every show, I feel terrified and willing to disappear from the face of the earth simply because I´m so afraid that the GIFT* will not be landing on me on that particular evening.
"You never know if it´ll come or not...just have to be humble and open your heart to receive it. Hopefully, it will come." - I tell myself, almost shaking, while warming up.

No camera can catch the MAGIC when the GIFT is borrowed and the Dancer shines through it. You need to be part of the audience to FEEL it, experience it, be immersed in its transformative realm.

Yeah, this is ephemerous as a breath of air. Only someone who was born a DANCER can carry this blessing/curse with total commitment and passion. And there I go, before every show, surrendering to God´s will and letting my hopes and vanities melt into nothingness, hoping THAT occasion will be one more of those when me and my audience become one and we all fly together.

Terror and superior joy. In every single show. What a Life!

2 comments:

Sara Naadirah said...

É pá!! estava mesmo a precisar de ler algo assim a escassas horas do meu show. obrigado pela inspiração!! ;)
Sucesso na Irlanda!!

Joana Saahirah of Cairo said...

My pleasure!
Abraços,
J.