Wednesday, November 11, 2009






Cairo, the 12th November, 2009

"Sleepless in Cairo...again...obsessing about CREATION..."

Sleepless again...my brain just doesn't stop.
I am living on an automatic "creating mode" and nothing seems to calm me down...Disturbing and amazing, simultaneously.
Songs jump around in my mind like crazy monkeys, I run to the mirrors of my home trying new movements, new steps that can lead me further into my own TRUTH...this is a kind of madness. That I'm sure about!




"The drumming of the tablas made everything shake, the walls, the bodies of the dancers, the earth and the sky, the ground under the pounding feet.
As we danced everything seemed to fuse into the rythm of the beat, body and soul, heaven and earth. The dancing bodies seemed to become a single body so that, after some time, I could no longer distinguish between Masouda's mother and Om Ibrahim, or between Masouda and any of the other women.
The Present too, seemed to fuse with the Past (...)."


Excerpt taken from "Walking through Fire" by Nawal el Saadawi
This piece of text describes a session of "Zaar", the ritual that is popular in the Middle East and Africa as a kind of exorcism or simply as a therapeutic, communal "underground" congregation which main goal is to release people from their inner devils. What can be more useful than this?!

The same description curiously applies to the way I see DANCING and my JOB altogether.

Dancing is still so misunderstood...so much work to be done yet!

No comments: