Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cairo, the 17 th November, 2009

"Class with my beloved Mahmoud Reda and an "indecent proposal"!
Another class shared with my dearest friend, Master Mahmoud Reda.
This is always a very personal experience for me due to my emotional connection with Mahmoud. I love him dearly and cherish every single moment we spend together as you may do with your closest friends and family. He makes me grow, laugh and never take myself too serious while desiring to continuously grow.
The music was a piece from an old song called "Khan el Khalili" and, although it has more than 40 years, it's as good as a brand new sound (as it happens with ALL intemporal, good music).
I learnt the coreography for the first time along with the group of students who ended up doing it wonderfully. It's always a pleasure to see so many varied women from all over the world united in a single purpose: to learn and get richer in/through DANCING.
Another good - yet strange- news arrived from the hand of Jackie (my student and dear "devil in my head"): the proposal do create a Union for "belly dancers" in Egypt!
Well...the idea in itself is great but I wonder if this Union will ever come to life when "belly dancing" is treated like cheap streap-tease by all kinds of laws and current mentality. Some will affirm this proposal is indecent because it would be like creating an Union for "prostitutes"!
After almost four years of continuous work in Cairo, I have gained new hopes and lost another ones. Call me a "party pooper" but...I don't think this Union will ever happen. Not in this century, at least.
Just hoping to prove myself wrong (a part of me has not quit on believing in miracles...).





2 comments:

mokuti said...

Joana - I found your post about Reda, Mahmoud choreography to the old song "Khan el Khalili." I love it. Where can I find this song? Thank you!

mokuti said...

Hello Joana S. - I noticed your comment about Reda, Mahmoud's 2009 November Nile Group choreography to the old song "Khan el Khalili." I love it! Where can the I find the complete song? Thank you! Mokuti