Saturday, November 14, 2009



Cairo, the 14th November, 2009



"Dreaming in black and white"

Returning home from work after the football game between Egypt and Nigeria - seemingly, a big deal for egyptiansw who suffered and celebrated in antecipation - was a fun, often scary experience. Egypt won the game (YES!!!) and watching people in euphory taking on the streets and doing crazy stuff is not a new phenomenon for me (portuguese are also crazy and even more passionate about football than egyptians) and yet really fun to be a part of.
As I observed ecstatic crowds in the street, it came to my mind the sad truth that very poor countries are often the ones who are more prone to celebrate whatever they can. When you have so little and life gets really hard, what's left for you if not celebrating whatever you can and forget yourself and your frustrations for some hours?!
In Portugal we say football is the opium of the people (as in our "poor people"). I agree.
Football is an evasion so urgent and necessary and it also gives egyptians a sense of national pride and self worth as a country.
My musicians were half at work and half at the football game. I didn't dare criticizing them for it. I was also in the same mood as was the audience. We were all in a "in-between" situation.
The egyptian flag was held up on the show background and I had to sing out lowd "Ah, ya Mirs" on stage when the news of our victory arrived!
Egypt has become my second - maybe first - home and I feel its victories and pains as mine.
Meanwhile...feeling a little stressed (I worry way tooooooo much about work and excellence).
I hate entering a comfortable zone. Just need to keep challenging myself and feel I am growing...always looking for new "headaches"... LOL
Here are some images of my dreams turned into reality.





No comments: