Tuesday, November 3, 2009


Cairo, the 3rd November, 2009

“Watching Randa Kamel at the “Nile Maxim”


Wow…this was a weird experience.
Tonight I dared to go with a group of friends to watch the Egyptian dancer – the only one whom I consider worth that NAME – Randa Kamel at the “Nile Maxim”, the same place where I perform.
Not only we share the same performing place but we also share half of the orchestra.
PLUS the only reason why we don’t share the WHOLE orchestra is my permanent refusal to do so (it’s common to receive musician’s requests to work with me and I often decline these requests). Different dancers search for different things in their musicians. I KNOW what I search for in my work and they do NOT have it.

Not the artists I am looking for.
I need SOUL, not employees.

Watching Randa’s show from the perspective of the audience also gave me a better idea of how I look up there and what I have to improve in my own work.
I am usually on that stage, not outside. The staff, musicians and the dancer herself must have been very surprised to see me there in the quality of audience. It’s not common to happen between competitive dancers.

Randa didn’t seem inspired and even a bit out of mood – my presence there may have contributed for it, maybe not! – and the musicians were average, as usual.

There’s a spark lost somewhere in that stage. Maybe the sadness of not being recognized as an artist, maybe just a state of “being tired from your depths”, I really cannot define what is it but I will do my best in order not to fall into the same hole.

After Randa, we jumped a bit into Salsa Night at the “Veranda”. Only stayed for a while, though… my mind was totally immersed on my work, what I will do to improve myself and how many things will change in the “Nile Maxim”, with God’s help.

No comments: