Friday, November 20, 2009

Cairo, the 20th November, 2009


"Hard audiences and new achievements"



Whenever I see an audience full of japanese people I get afraid, VERY AFRAID.

It's true that this people is the sweetest, most delicate and polite of all but , somehow, I don't feel them and they don't seem to feel me or understand me. There's always a fat wall between me and them. We see each other but we cannot penetrate each other's minds or hearts.

It's curious how cultural and mentality barriers inffluence the quality of a show which is part of a specific world. Arabic Dance is...arabic! (A note for the ones who have been distracted till now...No kidding!). Latin people share a few treats with egyptians and that makes it easier for me to comunicate with locals without any effort. Being warm, emotional and crazy is already in my nature. I don't need to act or pretend I am someone I am not.

I AM REALLY LIKE THIS.




And egyptians GET IT! When the audience is made of locals, the work is fluid and full of pleasures that come from mutual understanding and feeling.





An exclusively japanese audience is, by far, the most difficult thing I've had to face as far as audiences are concerned.

They stare at me, photograph me and film the whole show doing amazing and often disturbing close ups on my face, hips and so on without taking a second just to enjoy the show. Some of them even manage to sleep like a new born puppy in the middle of the event (how can they fall asleep in the middle of such music, noise and traffic of people just beats me...I even admire that ability...does it come from meditation??!) but they are usually miles away from me.


Today a miracle happened: I truly connected with this japanese crowd.




I did it!




Don't ask me how or why. That's still a mystery for me but, somehow, they joined with me in the songs, payed attention to the show and clapped enthusiastically by themselves, they yelled and manifested several emotions otherwise unknown to them and so forth...


I am besotted and still trying to figure out the reason for this wonderful surprise.

Meanwhile, enjoying the feeling of breaking a cultural barrier. Is this another sign of my own evolution?! (hoping so...).

No comments: