Friday, November 27, 2009





Cairo, the 27th November, 2009

“ Unforgettable moments with my dearest Mahmoud Reda”

I’ve often said it here and everywhere. My friendship and unique connection with Mahmoud Reda ( founder of the famous “Reda Troupe” and one of the dance genius in the world) goes beyond anything people can imagine. There are improbable friendships as there are improbable love affairs between people nobody would imagine there would be a spark.

For the outside world, Mahmoud is the BIG master of Egyptian Folklore and one of the most respected teachers in the world (as well as a beloved artist in Egypt), for me…well…hard to define.
I recognize his artistic relevance though I put his human value ahead of the first.
I see a loving friend who deeply cares for me. I also see an art companion who understands my love for dance and my doubts. I see a beloved grandfather who’s patient, benevolent and tremendously generous with me at all times.
I see my dear friend with whom I can speak just about anything and a man more than 50 years older than me but so close to me I could swear he’s exactly the same age as I am.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COREOGRAPHY AND IMPROVISATION:

Mahmoud has always been a choreographer and someone who advised me and taught me to use my head – not only my feeling and soul – while dancing.
50% head, 50% feeling soul. That seems to be a great formula easy to refer and difficult to put into practice but…I try!

He was the one who first stimulated and pushed me to choreograph and he’s also the one who loves watching me improvise. For me, it’s not a big deal. Movements flow and gather by themselves when I listen to a song that touches my heart or a special nerve.

On our way home and already in the car, we had the chance to discuss the difference between choreographing (Mahmoud) and improvising(MOI!).
I am an official improviser and choreography comes hard to me. I only do it to teach others or when I have another dancers with me on stage. When I am performing by myself, I improvise 100%. I like to see quick results, beauty made expressly and fastly on the spot. Choreography has another - painfully slow - kick to it. You learn patience, concentration and delayed pleasure.

Here some conclusions we gathered (between crazy cars crossing ahead of us and a mean jazz song playing in the stereo):

1. Improvisation is choreographing on the spot with no chance to choose the best movements for each section of the song, therefore is an emotional work which depends so much on one’s fast reactions and immediate creativity. It also relies on your inspiration (which may be present or not, depending on your mood and other factors).





2. Choreography gives you time to think, therefore it becomes a predominantly mental activity. You choose the best steps for here and there, erase what’s not so good and give yourself the opportunity to research, invent new movements and combinations that are not yet assimilated by your body.
Nothing is spontaneous because you’re looking for movements and forcing your brain to check what’s stored and make the best use of it.

Curiously enough, Mahmoud is a great choreographer and I represent the side of the Improvisers which he admires as an art in itself.





Thanks to his support, little pushes and example, I am feeling really inspired to choreograph more and more. My next challenges will be building new dances to do with my also new dancers for my BIG SHOW at “NILE MAXIM” in the New Year’s Eve and to prepare two brand new pieces to teach in Portugal and Colombia right in the beginning of 2010!




In order to celebrate the ART of GREAT CHOREOGRAPHY, here it is one of my favourite dance scenes made in the cinema with one of my elected dancers of ALL times (Cyd Cherisse).

Follow the link and "know what I mean"...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuJxYmJlEHY

No comments: