Monday, July 5, 2010

The Band Wagon - Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse

Cyd Cherisse and Fred Astaire (by this order)

I have assumed my forever love for Gene Kelly but there's another name I would like to point and it also comes from the Golden Years of American Cinema. Her name is Cyd Cherisse and she personifies the strenght, sensuality and talent of the best dancers in the world. Her body was amazing - what lines!!!- and her movement was not only technically amazing but everything came out from her like water falling from the sky.

I cannot ignore Fred Astaire, for sure. But he's just not one of my favourite. He was so neat, so correct, so smiley and well behaved all the time.
Too much ballroom for my gipsy character. Too correct to be a genius (in my humble opinion, of course).

In this sequence, Cyd Cherisse shows why she was the best dancer of her time - and beyond, somehow - and I dare to say I learn so much from these geniuses.
Talking about choreography...well. I hardly saw better than this until now. Such freshness and inventive movement. The rules are made to be broken by real talent.


Who says I can only get inspired by other Oriental Dancers?! The sad truth is that most Oriental Dancers - or so they are called - do not inspire me at all so I ll move to the REAL THING!

Enjoy...







Cairo, the 5th July, 2010

No comments: