Wednesday, July 14, 2010



Cairo, the 15th July,2010

Another indecent proposal

No matter how many times I turn rich guys off. I always receive some sort of direct or indirect indecent proposal. I guess that's part of the obligatory package when you're an Oriental Dance in Egypt.
It's known that all the famous dancers - with rare exceptions, very rare...- grow in their careers and jump into major stardom when they start dating/sleeping with/playing in all sorts of ways with a big shark with his pockets full of money, connections and power.

It is known, for sure. But what is also known in this market is that I tell these big shots to put their money and power into their...you know...the place where the sun never shines (yes,BRAVO! You guessed it!).
Yet, once in a while there are pimps hanging aorund me promising the world and express success on a major scale.

I don't get offended or mad anymore.I pity the pimps and I pity the sharks who cannot conquer a woman, only buy her. I pity the system and the way women - dancers, actresses, singers and any regular woman - sell themselves so easily in exchange for money, job opportunities, dresses, jewels, etc.

For now, I can sit and laugh at the scene as if I was a spectator watching a movie I am not part of.

Last night, there was one more of these one on one pimp-prospective client encounters and it came from the the most unexpected place.
It seems a big shot - that I presume must be a really small shot! - is coming to town next week and heard about me (no kidding!). He heard all the right things (that I am beautiful, an artist and a respectful lady) but he wishes to do with me all the wrong things (no kidding!)in exchange for a brand new show totally financed by him (the biggest and best orchestra I wish for, the dancers and dresses I dream about and everything beyond my imagination...ahhhh...).

Ahhhh...how much I laughed at the pimp's face!
It's not just the fact that I have a man I love and respect above everything but I RESPECT MYSELF before anything else.
If I have been performing daily for four years with no kind of help, promotion or push it's because I refuse to sell myself and lower my head.

What these pimps and cave men do not understand, once more, is that some creatures with breasts and vaginas are actually WOMEN.
And I mean W-O-M-E-N with CAPITAL letters. Not cheap meat.
Women with soul, heart, dignity and self-respect.

What a strange world I am living in...my God!

No comments: