Sunday, July 4, 2010


Cairo, the 4th July, 2010

And if I am really a man??!!

I quit keeping track of the times I was told I was like a man.
In a society which still sees women as subservient objects, someone who stands for herlself and doesn't expect a man to solve her life is seen as an alien.

Someone who will not seduce or play with men in order to reach some professional goals is also seen as masculine. It seems women should be sex kittens in heat on a 24 hour base when dealing with any man...
WHY?!!!

I once asked an empresario why should I speak with him as if I was in bed with my own man! He looked at me shocked. I guess he was not prepared for my question, he only expected to be talked to with whispers and kitten sounds totally out of context when we're talking about professional matters.

After hearing this sentence so much (YOU ARE NOT A WOMAN, YOU'RE LIKE A MAN!), I guess I started to believe it and now I find myself assuming my male identity whenever reality asks for it.

Why do we have to be put under a specific cathegory? Can't a woman be strong and even aggressive pursuing her goals? Can't a man be soft, fragile and sensitive some times?!

Putting people in cathalogued boxes is something I will never understand.

No comments: