Saturday, August 14, 2010



Cairo, the 11th August, 2010


Backstage manias....


What do I do before performing (every night after night, after night, after night...thanks God!)?!


Well...that would depend on my mood and time before the shows but, usually, there are a few things I do:

1. Dressing up, retouching make-up and all (the obvious).

2. Drinking my daily cappuccino often decorated with nice words from the kitchen staff (they draw I LOVE YOU with cinnamon on the top of the cappuccino and I just think: how cute is that?!). No alcohol , cigars or any kinds of drugs as so many other dancers do or as most people imagine me doing. I am kind of a nun in those matters...no addictions to strange substances that wil harm or pollute my body/instrument of work/pleasure/LIFE. No, thank you.

Except for the occasional cuban cigar (only with the right company), I do not smoke anything or ever drink alcohol.

3. Rehearsal with orchestra, 99%of the time.

I need to have control over my work and everything that will be shown to the audience.

Of course it's impossible to keep track of all the mistakes, specially on a daily work but I try my best to check what is the situation with the musicians, if there's someone missing, what is their mood and what it will be done better, show by show. I also consider important to sit and talk to them, laugh together, make some of them dance for me (yes, they do!!!) and build a nice atmosphere for all of us. That will be reflected on stage and the energy of the whole show.

Exhausting, yes. But I cannot do it another way. Or I do something WELL done or I just don't do it.

4. I sing portuguese fados while stretching, warming up my muscles and imagining a great show ahead of me. :)

5. Pray to my grandmother asking for guidance and pray to God for protection on stage and inspiration to give my best.

6. I bless myself before going on stage.

No comments: