Saturday, August 14, 2010




Cairo, the 11th August, 2010

Spirit of Ramadan

I've reached the conclusion that only mad men or gods have a total open mind and heart ALL the time.
As human beings in this material world full of illusions and apparent contradictions, we tend to open our hearts and minds at times, though not always, in order to survive in a current that is not tender to the vulnerable ones.

My heart is often closed as a way to protect myself from so many traps but my mind , I must say, it's opened 24 hours per day (and more, if there were more hours to a day).

Specially when you live in a country like Egypt where most people do not think and behave the way you consider logical/normal, your mind has to widen a great deal and the humbleness to understand the OTHER and accept It as It is must be in the order of every day.

When it comes a time like Ramadan, I often think about the importance ( real of theatrical ) muslims give to it and feel amazed at how many ways human beings search for that connection with God (or better said, with their INNER DIVINITY/THEIR SOUL).

I was raised as a christian (a rebel one with too many questions but still a christian) yet my mum was the pillar of my beliefs and those never included praying, fasting, sacrificing my body or mind to please the Lord or feeling the guilt of having been bornt in sin.

As it happens in so many other religions, I find most rituals and rules absolete.
I just feel: why don't we go straight to the point and quit making rules, DOS and DONT's that eiminate the power of your own counscience and the weight of each person's responsability over actions, thoughts and life style?!

As I see everyone around me fasting, praying, taking care of not breaking any of Ramadan's rules, I think:
Are they really getting the point of all this or just following rituals their families/society/culture has imposed upon them?!

Are they turning themselves into better human beings after all these restrictions and rules or will they return to their old selves after the whole religious festival is over?

I have a deep disbelief in religions, that's something I got from my mum.
With all due respect to each person's opinion and creeds, I find it hard to accept that RELIGIONS make GREAT human beings and World History has proven that my disbelief has good reasons to exist.

On the other side, there are many ways to reach God or feel it inside you and I must respect the individual idiossincracies of each friend, co-worker, lover, colleague, etc.
I may not understand why someone acts the way she/he does, and still it doesn't mean she/he's wrong and I am right. I just can't understand it.POINT.

Loving others has a lot to do with the ability to accept them as they are, even if we don't understand them some times. That's what I try to do, specially in an extreme time like Ramadan.

For me (and I am just a simple ignorant trying to do my best in this crazy world), I am closer to God when I feel total LOVE in my heart towards another people (not only the close ones but strangers too).

For me, I am closer to God when I hold my mother's hand and call her MEU AMOR (MY LOVE, in portuguese).

For me, I am closer to God when I help someone who needs me and ask nothing in return.

For me, I am closer to God when a temptation arrives and my dignity /self-respect is stronger and I can say NO, thank you.

For me, I am closer to God when I hold my man in my arms and imagine all the angels of this Universe protecting him from all harm.

For me, I am closer to God when I make love with my man (knowing that connection comes from our bodies but also our hearts and our souls).

For me, I am closer to God when I smile at a stranger who needs some tenderness or I hold a child that has never been held before.

For me, I am closer to God when I run with my dogs between mountains full of green tall trees and animals.I see the perfect beauty of Nature and feel blessed to be part of it.

For me, I am closer to God when I play with children or animals.

For me, I am closer to God when I dance from my SOUL and share JOY and BEAUTY with my audiences.

For me, I am closer to God when I take a deep breath and give THANKS for being here, at this precise moment, alive and healthy, experiencing this time and place.

Yet this is all...FOR ME...and ME is not EVERYBODY else.
So, this Ramadan...I plan on practicing tolerance towards different beliefs (even the ones I do not understand) and unconditional LOVE. Not an easy task but I am up for it!

This will be my way of living Ramadan...

No comments: