Saturday, August 28, 2010

Cairo, the 28th August, 2o1o

Abdel Halim Hafez

Right now I am digging deeply into Abdel Halim Hafez (one of the most famous singers of all times in Egypt and the trademark of a generation).
It´s obvious I had already danced to a lot of Abdel Halim Hafez´s songs but what I mean by "digging" is to use those songs you don´t see any other dancers working on. I mean that I search for undiscovered treasures or stuff that is considered out of the "dance" league/type. I LOVE to experiment with those "hard" materials no one else dares to dance with.
So, I am going deeper out of the ordinary...

Producing daily shows non-stop, during the whole year has this amazing effect of turning me into a chronicaly mad music jukebox, searching for new tunes to dance to.

These days, I am putting my favourite Om Kolthoum to rest for a while.
Digging into Abdel Halim Hafez´s world has been an incredible pleasure, although he sang LOVE and LIFE from a male´s perspective and with a kind of pain I cannot fully understand or identify myself with. I can connect with Om Kolthoum better, still don´t know why.

But I am up for the challenge. Exploring new songs of this famous singer with my orchestra.Every day I discover, at least, two songs I never heard about.~

Dancing to Abdel Halim Hafez is also asking for a different expression in my way of dancing.

Loving the experience, the learning, the spice that is entering into a new world.
Enjoying it...forgetting past wounds with it...moving forward with it...finding joy in the middle of sadness with it.

Thanking God - inside me - for the INSPIRATION to do it ALL.

No comments: