Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Nearness of You - Amália Rodrigues

Cairo, the 18th August, 2010

My favourite song, interpreted by my second favourite singer (Amalia Rodrigues, the eternal DIVA of FADO)

There are a thousand and one songs that take my breath away.

As a dancer, I am always looking for new songs that touch my soul.

As a performer, the search for that tune that will rise me up from my feet on the ground is a daily task and I have found many of those gems in my work but , somehow, in my private thoughts and feeling, this song fills my heart and comforts it like no other.

Thanks to an eclectic upbringing, my ears were used to listen to a mix of gipsy, african, pop and classical music from a very early age.

When I reached arabic music, my internal voice/sound system was already pretty much prepared to everything but, no matter how many marvellous songs I listen and dance to, this song

(THE NEARNESS OF YOU) is just a classic of my own.

When I discovered that Amalia Rodrigues (the bigger portuguese singer of all times and the second best singer - in my opinion - in the world right next to my number 1 , Om Kolthoum) had recorded an album on Broadway themes, I researched and found this pearl:

Amalia singing THE NEARNESS OF YOU...

Too tender to ignore...way too candid...with little touch of portuguese FADO in it...

It goes like this:

It's not the pale moon that excites me,

that thrills and delights me...

oh no...it's just the nearness of you....

Isn't your sweet conversation that brings this sensation...oh noooo....

It's just the nearness of you...

When you're in my arms

And I feel you so close to me

All my wildest dreams come true

I need no soft lights to enchant me

If you would only grant me the right to hold you ever so tight

and to feel in the night the nearness of you......

No comments: