Wednesday, November 3, 2010


Cairo, the 3rd November, 2010


My Master and Dear Friend Mahmoud Reda...


After so many phone calls and delays (from my side) to, finally, see each other, I was caught by my dearest friend and patient teacher MAHMOUD REDA (God keep him healthy and safe for many years) and dragged to his studio with no possibility of an excuse.


After two hours in the traffic in order to reach his studio ( where Reda Troupe first trained many, many years ago...), there was that hug, our undescribable hug that comes from deep afection, tenderness, mutual respect and a friendship/partnership that goes beyond everything, even his name and mine (Mahmoud Reda was the creator of REDA TROUPE and is considered all over the world as the FATHER of EGYPTIAN FOLKLORE).


I was honoured to have learnt all the egyptian folklore from him in first hand. He personally - patiently, generously - taught me everything he knows and more...

For that I will be eternally thankful and in debt to him.

With my learning process came the teaching and travelling together, the festivals, the rehearsals and choreographies he built by my side (under my fascinated, curious eyes).

Our sing-along together, our own dancing in the rain in England, our private jokes, his sense of humour that I match with my very own devilish sense of humour, our cumplicity and friendship.


So I feel ashamed to admit I don't dedicate as much time and attention as I should to my dear Mahmoud and yet today we hugged, laughed, danced together as if we had been seeing each other every other day.

When he dropped me at home, here's how the final conversation went:


-You know, Joana. You should not let me without seeing you for such a long time.

-I will not, Mahmoud. I promise (and, when I promise, I HAVE to do it!)

-You shine everywhere you go.

-That's sweet, Mahmoud. But what do you mean?

-I mean that you bring life to every place you enter, you bring shine and the sun to everywhere you go. It's like the sun is entering a room.
(I was speechless). Just smiled and kissed him.

My dear master, friend, partner of secret jokes only both of us understand.

Again and again I will tell you: I LOVE YOU, MAHMOUD.

No comments: