Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Cairo, the 8th December, 2010

Shokry Mohamed (will always remember you...)

Shokry Mohamed was a delightful nubian soul who happened to be the only Oriental Dance teacher I ever studied with continuously for a long period of time (after him, only Mahmoud Reda fit this description but in a totally different way).
I had already started dancing at the age of 5 doing the whole Classical Ballet Conservatoire thing, the promenades through other dances (modern, jazz, african, flamenco, you name it!) but he was the ONE who made me really discover and fall in love with Oriental Dance. He was pure magic, a wizard of movement, a sage disguised in simplicity and playfulness.


He was my long term teacher, the one who taught me the bases of Oriental Dance and the importance of being humble, simple and always searching for your heart and soul through dance.

He was also the one who "guessed" I would be a professional Oriental Dancer in Egypt and enjoy the success God has given me. I didn't believe him at the time (actually I thought he was a bit crazy as I was already an actress and it didn't cross my mind to practice dance professionaly...how little did I know, huh?!).

It was also with Shokry that I made my first visit to Egypt and had my first classes in this country, watched my first shows and saw the Nile for the first time.
It seems Shokry was my "first time" everything kind of man.

And how I miss my dear teacher and the way he laughed at me calling me "hurricane"...
I miss his smooth face while he danced (always peaceful and naughty) and his black, gorgeous hands moving into the "nay" music, floating like an eagle in the sky.
I miss his remarks and tough love on me. I miss the way he told me once (and once was enough!): " Always believe in yourself."

Is there any bigger treasure you can give to a person than believing in them and making them believe in themselves?!
I know no other jewel bigger than this.

And he's the one I remember in times when everything in me it's put to the test.
I hear his whisper in my ear: " Always believe in yourself."

Thank you, dear teacher (I still use the same "Panchavati" incense you used to burn in our Spain classes).

P.S. I miss you.

No comments: