Saturday, May 15, 2010

Buenos Aires (Argentina), the 5th May, 2010


My very first argentianian tango lesson and...SENOR TANGO!!!


My friend Sylvia - thank you for all your tender support - took me to the best Tango house in Buenos Aires: SENOR TANGO.
And this is all I can say: I am in love. I even phantasized leaving Cairo and all my career and becoming a tango dancer at this place (just kidding!).
The place is amazing, the show is INCREDIBLE and the orchestras are so artful that you loose your breath. Stunning.

The bandoneon - traditional instrument from the accordeon family commonly used in tango music - just stole my heart and an orchestra with musicians of an older generation made me remember, again, GOD DOES EXIST.
Dancers were very good, of course. As in all dance forms, going beyond technique and really bringing emotion to your audience is what distinguishes a regular dancer from an ARTIST.

You see a lot of feet and legs moving around in difficult, intricate, spicy patterns but what stays with you is that rare moment when your heart is touched by the dance in connection with the music. Magical...way beyond steps and smart choreographies.
The arrangements of the tangos were great, some of the interpreters were exquisite but nothing amazed me more than an old maestro improvizing with his bandoneon.
Pure Art. Pure melancholy.

Tango seems to be the shadow of Love. All kinds of shadows are in this music. This is an alley, a corner, a gutter and a middle-light lamp bringing some fight or closure to an endless love affair.
Tango is so HUMAN and that's what fascinated me about it. It speaks about passion, jealousy, weaknesses and impotence when facing the sadness or feverish moments of a great love. How can I NOT love it?!

As for my first TANGO LESSON...
I think I did well.
Everything is different and I feel like my body is stuck between the man's body.
I also feel limited by the man and the stiffness of posture and floor paterns but I am starting to get the hang of it and enjoying it.
More than everything: It's soooooooo sexy...Holly God! This is SEXY!
Never stop learning, never.

No comments: