Saturday, May 15, 2010




Buenos Aires (Argentina), the 5th May, 2010

Jorge Luis Borges, Parisian style coffee-shops, Mate, Gauchos, Tango and Meat!

Symbols of another fascinating country...
I'm sure so many other symbols are missing...I've been in Argentina only for two days but, so far, these are the ones I've been in direct contact with and all of them fascinate me.

Writer:
Jorge Luis Borges. The most famous writer in the country and Nobel Prize of Literature.

Drink:
Mate. Typical kind of drink made from dry, smashed elements from a common tree of Argentina. It's supposed to be diuretic and energizing. It actually tastes like green tea, only stronger.


Characters:
Gauchos. As it happens in Brazil, Gauchos are the typical peasants of interior Argentina. They represent the life in the country side and all that its connected to it (lands, animals and such). The mate (drink already mentioned) is also frequently associated with them.


Places:
Parisian style coffee-shops. All over town.
Gorgeous, painting like gateaus (cakes) decorating windows and tables.
Tall glasses of cappuccinos and other treats in its full gourmet splendour covered by a staff that seems to be taken from the Titanic ship. Fancy, fancy, fancy.
Super (as argentinians would say)!
Cosy, european, chic and delicate as any good Paris bistro. Sitting and chatting along at one of these many coffee-shops spread all over Buenos Aires (seeming to be the most european city of Latin America) is a great pleasure I didn't want to miss.


Dance:
Tango, obviously. So far, I've seen better orchestras than dancers. It's clear I have a thing for great orchestras. Managing my own band for four years and having worked with so many musicians from different levels and artistic backgrounds has turned me into a crazy, picky, passionate maestro. So, I tend to pay attention to orchestras more than dancers, except when these are so good that they capture my attention (=heart).

Meat:
Well.Argentina is famous for its meat and lovers of the subject swear by their mum's health this is the best meat in the world. I wouldn't know, would I? (I don't eat meat).

No comments: