Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cairo, the 25th May, 2010

The effects of Envy

What surprises me the most in the hard environment of Cairo belly dance competitive scene is to find dancers I (used to) admire taking their time to screw me on the back, sending their assistants/musicians/family members to spy on my orchestra,show programs and such.
It's bad enough that there is no unity and generosity between dancers. I thought that was bad enough but this...it's just TOO much!

This REALLY surprises me.
It surprises me because I still hold on to a naif idea that all great artists are great people (not true!).
It surprises me because these dancers have help - all kinds of help - more than me 100000 times and they shouldn't bother so much about me.
I am not that important, I guess (although, for them, I seem to be VERY important!).

I receive police complaints every week, I have my bags checked for drugs in my backstage room, I deal with spies who know - better than me! - which musicians I choose and which musicians send away. They know what I dress and which songs I am dancing these days...this really surprises me and creeps me out.

I have other orchestra's chiefs calling - disguised as friends - asking me details about my work and mafias checking my back as if I was f......Queen Elisabeth of England and I just don't get it.

Wake up, PEOPLE!
Instead of checking me up on a daily basis ( I am not that interesting, really...), why don't you keep your mind on your own business?
Wouldn't it be more inteliigent and productive for you if you concentrated on yourself and, therefore, improved your own work?!

I just don't get it, I sware by God! This Joana chasing looks ridiculous to me, specialy when I don't give a damn about what other dancers do or wear. I am too busy with myself. I am too busy growing up.

I wish we ALL did the same (and please, no more calls from disguised friends asking for juicy details about my work...my mouth is totally shut from now on. I guess I have to become what I always hated (a bitch!) in order to protect myself).


Oriental Dance would grow if all professionals were, indeed, PROFESSIONALS more worried about their work than their envy and fragile egos.

No comments: