Saturday, May 15, 2010




Cairo (Egypt), the 12th May, 2010


Home again and the greatest flood of love from Latin America...


The disturbing thing about me is this strange contrast between an overly emotional heart and an ability to be everywhere with no one or everyone.

I seem to be cold as ice and, at the same time, warmer than the Caribbean sea.

Another disturbing thing about me is that I feel at home pretty much everywhere but there are some precious individuals - not places or objects - that turn a home into an all-time MUST RETURN hot spot.
That applies to my family's home in Portugal where I have all the references that link me to the ground as well as my own home in Cairo, symbol of all my struggles and achievements.

After what it seemed to be an endless treap (from the mountains inside Medellin, Colombia to Bogota, also in Colombia and then from Bogota to Madrid where I spent a full day getting to know the airport's shops better than the palm of my hands and then, finally, Madrid to Cairo), I finally got home.


I had already had a preview of the impact my work (both workshops and shows) had on people in Colombia and Argentina but nothing could have prepared my heart for the flood of love I received via email and Facebook alike.

I've received hundreds - no exaggeration - of messages from men and women who shared some of my work in Colombia and Argentina. The appreciation, respect and love I've been receiving leave me breathless.

More often than I'de like to admit, I have cried reading these messages.
I guess my work - teaching and performing and, probably, writing - reflect not only my Art and vision of dance but also all the battles I had to win in order to arrive where I am today, sane and alive.

I suffered practicaly everything a human being can suffer and got disappointed with people around me more than anyone should ever get but, in the end, my plutonic nature transforms everything dark into Light and...here I am: stronger than ever, proving so much to myself and to others who think you have to sell your soul in order to succeed (NO, you DON'T!).

Nothing - except God! - helped me in this journey.

I had much more obstacles than hands pushing me forward and up but, right now, the result of all the joys and incredible pain I lived in the past make part of my body, memories, soul and that's all I share with my audiences.

The fact that I had very little help from people around me also made me a better person. I had to be better, transcend myself and my own limitations and rise exclusively through my talents and hard work.

My dance is the result of all I've lived and for that I am thankful.
People end up feeling all I've ever lived through my dance and the result is umpredictably AMAZING.


I can only thank God, first and above all, and everybody who attended my shows/workshops for their appreciation and love.
I am speechless. In a very, very cheesy moment (but heartfelt one), I dedicate Michael Jackson's song, Speechless, to everybody.
Search for it in the Youtube. Its words are not mine but they say exactly what I mean towards all of you.

Your love is magical, that's how I feel...
But I have not the words yet to explain...
(...)
I am speechless...speechless...that's how you make me feel...
(...)
When I'm with you I'm lost for words...

No comments: