Saturday, May 15, 2010

Lima (Peru), the 10th May, 2010

Taxi Dance in Buenos Aires and all the city left in my heart

Just before leaving Buenos Aires, a deliciouly sticky information fell on my lap:
There is a famous service in the city called Taxi Dance and it consist on professionals Tango dancers (I don't know how professional they are but that's another story) who are hired by non-dancers to be taken into town and danced with the night away.

Yes, you read it well.



Someone arrives to Buenos Aires and doesn't know how to dance Tango or where to go to dance Tango. These taxi dancers will take you to milongas and other tango venues, teach you (Tango and, probably, another types of dancing...if you know what I mean...:) ) and be your dance partner for the period you pay for.
I laughed a lot along with this information. The concept strikes me as funny, original and a little tacky (how much of it is a mix of dance partnership and/or prostitution?!).


I inquired some friends and they told me this service is mostly requested by old ladies who come to Buenos Aires alone. (?!).
What if in Cairo they landed the same concept but applied to Oriental Dance:
Taxi Belly Dancer?
You would hire a belly dancer - or something like it - and she would dance with you and for you in exclusive.
Oh, wait! They already have that service in Egypt (and all the Middle East, for that matter). They just don't name it Taxi Belly Dancer. They give it another, somehow harsher name. Well, not commenting on this one. Enough of dirtiness for now.


I just hate when dance is used for other purposes that are not ARTISTIC (exception for the whole wife-husband-wife home made lap dance...I think that's great!).
This added info left me even more confused and made sure I had my little dirty look, that showing cynical part of me that doesn't believe in Santa Claus anymore.
In the middle of laughs, applauses, tango research and hundreds of kisses, photos, compliments and an incredible flow of appreciation I thank God for, I managed to miss Buenos Aires and, as it happens with almost every city I visit, I easily saw myself living here.

I thank the event's organization for the opportunity to share my vision/work with these warm - and touchy!!!- argentinian audiences/students and I thank my friend Silvia for showing me a bit of the Buenos Aires of my dreams.

No comments: