Monday, May 24, 2010

Cairo, the 24th May, 2010


What I can't live without (in Cairo)


1. My occasional sushi with friends to counterbalance the local egyptian presence in my daily life (it can be way toooooo much).

2. My mocha coffees to give me power to deal with so many impossible obstacles. I don't feel the need to take caffeine anywhere but in Cairo (go figure why!).

3. Egyptian tea with mint. So common, simple, all times present and - by now - indispensable.

4. Egyptian summer nights. The best in the world (you would have to experience it to know why).

5. Mangoes, guavas and all the fruits that taste better here.

6. The Nile near from Assuan (famous river Nile, dirty in Cairo but magical near Luxor and Assuan).

7. Egyptian music and dance (obvious reasons).

8. Il Khoury's palace Darwish show in the Hussein. SOul is still there, the spirit of the music is still there.
The only show I totally recommend in Cairo (it's sad that there aren't dance shows which compete with it right now).

9. Breakfasts in Sakkarah with peasants.

10. Sahlab. White, creamy, sweet traditional drink that makes my day when everything seems to fall apart.

11. Egyptian sense of humour. Making me laugh, forget the pains and tribulations.
Making everything - even tragedies - lighter.

12. Surprises. The unexpected. No other country does it so well (tragically well!). You never know what will hit you on a daily basis.

No comments: