Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cairo, the 9th September, 2010

The Beauty Myth

The book I am currently reading is called
THE BEAUTY MYTH- HOW IMAGES OF BEAUTY ARE USED AGAINST WOMEN and I can only recommend it to every woman and man who loves WOMEN.

As an Oriental Dance teacher, my goal has always been to teach the DANCE itself but, most of all, to give the students a sense of themselves and how unique they REALLY are.

Oriental Dance is remarkable that way. It requires technique and all sorts of knowledge but, first and last of all, it demands a self-knowledge and self-acceptance that breaths through the dance.

How many women have I seen transformed by the incredible power of this magical dance and how much of MYSELF have I felt totally changed for the sake of it?!

Reaching a point when I love my body in all its unique corners has a lot to do with the fact of being an Oriental Dancer.
I have that - and so much more- to thank my ART for.

Wish all WOMEN saw how gorgeous they are.
Personally, I never saw an ugly woman in my life. I see beauty in all women, even if they don´t see it in themselves and that´s sad.

If all women practiced Oriental Dance since early age through the hands of a good, conscious teacher, phenomenons such as anorexy and all variations of loveless relationships would disappear from the world.

Simply LOVE the way this book puts the cards on the table and forces me, yet again, to look at myself and how much society pressures women to look and behave a certain way with the illusion that that will bring them happiness and love.

The HUMAN BODY is a miracle of BEAUTY and DIVERSITY. I hope we all understood that, at all times.

CELEBRATING what is special in ourselves should be taught in public schools as much as mathematics and languages.

No comments: