Sunday, June 17, 2012

4th Cairo Oriental Dance Workshop


I want to thank the beautiful dancers who attended the 4th Cairo Oriental Dance Workshop. We were a small group - as I deduced we would be due to the political situation of Egypt and the elections happening this weekend - but we did our "thing" from our hearts, total bliss and energy. 

Hosny Watatak, one of the percussionists that has performed with me in Cairo, was lovely as usual, making us sweat and rejoice. 

Dancing LIVE with a GOOD, TALENTED and HUMBLE percussionist is a pleasure of the skies very few dancers have the privilege to experience. It is a sexual experience with purity and absent of prejudices and limitations, both sense and spiritually oriented. Orgasm of the skin, mind, heart and soul. Both extremely physical and spiritual, at the same time! Roots and wings. Stomping the floor that gave us LIFE while reaching for the Above. The Re-connection of ALL that we are, as Human Beings.

I´ve been blessed to share the stage with some of the best percussionists of Egypt and lots of what I know about Dance it´s owed to them. 

Here´s my GRATITUDE note to Hosny and the girls. You were AMAZING!


P.S. When I asked Hosny (with 40 years of tabla playing on his back) what was, in his opinion, the main qualities that characterize a GOOD DANCER, he answered:


1. She needs to feel the "tempo" (rhythm) of the music all the time.
2. She needs to be a very good listener. 


Once I asked him who followed whom in a live tabla solo, he answered:


IF the dancer is good, I follow her with my eyes and my hands. Sometimes she will accept my lead and another times I accept hers but she´s the one in charge.
IF the dancer is not so good, I am the one who is in charge and do my own thing without following her. 

No comments: