Tuesday, June 19, 2012

On the road again...choreographing challenges.


"The greater the artist, the greater the doubt." Oh, really?!
So I must be some kind of wonderful because all I have is DOUBTS, specially when choreographing a NEW PIECE for my upcoming 
WORKSHOP at SALAMAT MASR FESTIVAL, here in Cairo.

The Workshop is on the 9th July from 12.30h till 14.30h and it is breaking my head, heart and soul into a thousand pieces. Choreographing to TEACH is a very special challenge for me, specially when I am my own worst critic and I always expect something EXCITING from myself. No other critics can be as harsh as I am with myself. 

I ll be teaching an iconic music of the Egyptian Oriental Dance repertoire, you see..."SET IL HOSN" was composed by a genius for Nagwa Fouad, one of the names that made HISTORY in this dance´s path.
Building a choreography that is both artistically and pedagogically interesting AND something of my own taste is not an easy task. 
I knock on Inspiration´s door and she refuses to open itself until the "right" mood and moment arrive. Until then, I am a nerve rack, I search for movements in the wind, people´s walk in the Cairo streets, animals and plants. I search, search, search and very rarely feel satisfied with the solutions found. A mix of pleasure and torture, as everything else in Art (I guess)...

Sometimes, I get like this (see image bellow:)

 And I always relate to my own image on the mirror, while choreographing, like this (see image bellow):
Hope all the fuss is worth it. It usually is!

No comments: