Friday, June 15, 2012

Low maintenance Dancer I am, I am...

Being a Dancer is so much more than just DANCING or doing the work directly related to the Art itself. There´s a side to it that I never completely got used to. The show off part, the hairdo, the make-up and the glitter most women love are pure torture to me. I am a gipsy, for God´s sake! I would gladly dance naked, feet on the ground, no make-up, if I could.


Noticed how little I care about these exterior things last time I performed in Buenos Aires, Argentina (this May). The theater was full and the audience was warm and passionate as ever (Argentina is one of my favorite stages to step on) and my hair clip (which adds a big deal of volume and shape to my thin hair) just flew off from my head when I was dancing. I caught it with my hands, danced my way to the edge of the stage (in the back) and threw the hair clip on the floor as if it was a shoe I don´t need anymore.

I´m on the low maintenance group, I must add. No plastic surgery - although my uncle insists my  face and my breasts have changed like Michael Jackson´s right after "Billie Jean" -or facials, botox and other rat´s tails people inject in their faces nowadays, no hairdressers or manicurists on my booty. Just plain old physical preparation and focus in my craft. I choose my dance dresses according to how comfortable they feel, much more on how good they look and never felt ashamed if a bra/skirt/other strange piece of my suit pops off my body at any given time.

The more you develop yourself as a dancer, the simpler everything else gets. It s not anymore about the sparkle and the beads, the vanity acrobatics and the "dress to impress" thing. It is ALL about DANCE, the purest the better. My superficial/commercial side would wish Roberto Cavalli would be my own personal designer, though...having him design all my cloths would be heaven, I confess.
  Ah, Women!:)

No comments: