Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"My Egypt"...

There is not one single Egypt. There are many, depending on the time of History we refer to or the way each person perceives this fascinating country.
Tourists will have a superficial, maybe pleasant or unpleasant view of it all. The pushy commercial dealers, the necessity of the "baksheesh" and the all around trials of fooling the travelers for whom the internal games of the country are unknown. There is much more than annoying shop owners, corruption, pyramids and smiley people with sincerely kind hearts.

For someone who lives and works in Egypt, like me, specially in such a trade as "egyptian dance" the experience can also be multi/faceted but never dull. I learnt everything the hard way as I refused to be owned by men who offered to make my path easier in exchange for my body and dignity. Unprotected, I´ve seen the best and the worst of this country where millions are just trying to survive. It is easy to judge when you´re not in someone else´s shoes. Sure there is always a way to do things honestly without stepping on somebody else but damn sure the price for that path is high and not many are willing to pay it.

After more than a month of physical absence from Cairo, all I know is that the presidential elections result was not of the taste of egyptians: the old army represented by a Mubarak man or the Muslim Brotherhood. Let the devil come and decide between these two evils. Outch!

Yes, EGYPTIAN REVOLUTION has been stolen from egyptians who REALLY deserve a break from the hard life most of them always led.
The streets are operational and peaceful, although I can listen the protests in "Tahrir" from my window. Everyone is wondering what will happen to the hopes and lives lost for the sake of FREEDOM, DIGNITY and a new HOPE for the future of this country.

Nobody in his/her right mind will care about bikinis, vegetables and fruits with phallic shape or other idiotic pursuits so in vogue for religious extremists. Health, Education, Employment opportunities, corruption cleaning process (the hardest one to do as corruption has become a way of life in Egypt), etc. These are the matters that will affect everybody´s life quality. Hope JUSTICE and INTELLIGENCE win over POWER struggles, LIES and CORRUPTION.

I want my Egypt back!


No comments: